I'm new

Posted on
  • Hey All,

I've just moved to London from Cheshire and I am looking to join this cycling club. Back at home I regularly cycled 15-45 miles on my road bike. I see that the taster session on August 6th is full, is there any other rides I could join?

Best,
    Arran

• Hi +arranrice,

Unfortunately the taster is full as you mention. Keep an eye on the thread this week as we may have drop outs, and places are filled on a first come first served basis.

We run regular rides on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. Rides are grouped by pace and, for the Sunday ones, distance. A is the fastest (18mph+) and longest,down to C which are slowest (15/16 mph) and up to about 30/40 miles.

Possibly the best is to come along on a Sunday, introduce yourself and ask what rides are happening for the day.

Hope that helps

Jonny

• Wha? A is 16-18. C is 12-14?

• For clarification:

A groups: 17-18mph
    B groups: 14-16mph
    C groups: 11-13mph

These are average speeds and may vary depending on weather and terrain, etc.

• apologies +arranrice - I work in kilometers and tried to back calculate. Alex and David are correct.

• If you have some experience riding in a group you could try 8am Regents Park laps, followed by 9am coffee. There are many groups of different paces. Just make sure you tell the leader of your group that you are a first timer.

• @StephendS Okay, cool. Where would I find my group leader? Is the meeting point at London Zoo?

Cheers

• Yes, Zoo at 8am, introduce yourself as new

• Quite right @JonnyK Rule #24

• @arranrice did you get out this morning? Squinting at the profile pic to see if I recognise you. Hope you had fun if so.

• @Nettleton I thought it was on Sunday! I think I may have missed it, the first comment on this thread said Sunday? I'll have to come along next Saturday!

• Hi @arranrice This morning was the monthly intro ride (which was fully booked). You are more than welcome to join a ride tomorrow morning 08:30 @ Whittington Park. Just let one of the ride leaders (or members) know you are new and they will advise you on which group to go out with.

• @MikeMC Thanks, and when is the next ride from London Zoo?

Thanks,
    Arran

• Basic deal is...

All regular rides start at Whitting Park on Holloway Rd, apart from Saturdays, which are at Regents and Thursday race training. See below.../ https://islington.cc/

Sat - 7am fast laps, 8am social laps
    Sun - 8.30am club rides (usually at least 4 rides of varying speeds/ distances to suit))
    Weds -6.30pm North London Hills
    Thurs - Race Training at Lee Valley Velopark

Showing up to a sunday ride is a good intro to riding with the club

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

I'm new