You are reading a single comment by @Shannonball and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • 10/02/2024 - Tales of a pessimist

Back in 1987, BBC weather presenter Michael Fish gave a forecast that denied rumours that a hurricane was on its way.

https://youtu.be/uqs1YXfdtGE?si=vvA2vkfC­JhaxGzep

The next day a violent cyclone ripped through the country with winds of up to 132mph, 18 people died and 15 million trees were felled. Since then, it seems to me that BBC weather forecasts have erred on the side of caution to the point of pessimism. For some reason, I failed to remember this...

So, it was the Friday before a 100km reliability ride and – I know, know – I checked the BBC weather app on my phone. In truth I’d been checking every day for a week. The prediction was bleak. A 70% chance of rain all day. Not really what I wanted to subject myself to, especially after recovering from a nasty chest infection in January. When +Greg_Kabulski posted that he was thinking about doing a DIY ride of the route on the better-looking Saturday, I decided to do the same.

I’ve ridden the Verulam CC Reliabilty Ride a few times – there are two reports above – so I knew what to expect - hills. My coach gave me a plan: “ride this on heart rate and keep it under 125BPM on the flat.” “What flats?” I wrote back, attaching the elevation profile. “Oh, I see, just go over 125BPM on the climbs then!”

I set out from Redbourn doing as coach instructed. I kept it pretty mellow and the weather stayed pretty mild, a misty start that grew a little bright as the day wore on. I went through Tring and Albury, saw a very friendly white horse, then Wendover Woods and lunched at Wendover. No 2 Pound Street does a very good line in toasties and I sat and stared down the hill while gathering myself for the second half.

Either side of the 40 mile mark the two most challenging climbs of the route come in quick succession. First Whiteleaf, then Wardrobes. These must have eaten into my legs a fair bit, because at 50 miles I was struggling. I stopped and took on some white chocolate and peanut protein bar thing, had a 5-minute breather and decided to HTFU. Easier said than done.

The next 10 miles was a struggle, but once I was past that soul destroying climb out of Berkhamsted up[ Gravel Path, I rallied. I finished well apart from not have the apres ride lunch that Verulam CC throw on. I was a day early for that. I tried not to be too disappointed that this was my slowest ride on this route. I’m still coming back from a long period of disruption to my training and I was riding my somewhat heavier gravel bike. Although I have to say, having an easy 38/42 gear allowed my to cruise up the steeper ramps in a slow and stately manner.

And Sunday, did it rain? Hardly. There was a brief and minor bit of drizzle and by noon it was blue skies. I love the BBC, but not for their weather forecasts. It's almost like they don't want us to go outside and enjoy ourselves! Next time I see another of their gloomy forecasts before an event, I’ll take it with a pinch of salt. The main thing for me was to get my first 100km ride of the year done, so mission accomplished.

About

Avatar for Shannonball @Shannonball started