of 3
/ 3
Last Next
  • TBD
  • 93.75% Complete
    15/16
  • Going 15
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 14th February 2015 08:45 am - meeting point will be confirmed with you via the forum's private message system.

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):
    You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:
    We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?
    If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:
    A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:
    ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Ah. Valentines day....this might not go down well.

• True love is... allowing your partner to take part in healthy and sociable activities :)

Although we do recommend the intro rides for newcomers to road cycling; you are more than welcome to attend a club ride and introduce yourself to the group as a new rider. We don't drop people from club rides so you will be well supported if you cannot make the intro ride.

• Too true! I'll see how the land lies but thanks for letting me know about the other option.

• Just so you know, My OH will actively be encouraging me out the door....

• Hi there. I just signed up and thought I'd better introduce myself as it'll be the first time I ride with the club.

I've been cycling 'properly' for a couple of years now, and toyed with joining clubs a few times (mainly put off by the early morning starts..). From the description above I think I should be OK with the distance, but might need some pointers on the whole cycling in a group thing..

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some of you in a couple of weeks!

• @The_Other_Rob hey just want to attend so I know how to help in the next event. Do I still need to click on 'yes i'm attending' button in this thread?

• @LauraD check your pm.

• Hey there!!
    I'll attend to this "introduction". I don't too much idea about how long it would take, how many miles will be the ride, etc.
    Thanks.
    See you there!

• +DanR - all the information you need is in the first comment from Rob and this includes timings and miles. Please read this information thoroughly before attending the session.

• But to be clear to everyone, the route is approximately 25 miles and should take around 3 hours depending on your pace.

A cafe stop is included in East Finchley, but you are not obliged to stop if you need to get home earlier.

• Fair enough. Cheers Laura.

• Hello Forum. Just joined the club today so hopefully will be permitted to join you on inaugural club ride on the 14th. Wife has said she off to Yoga so whole morning is mine to do with as i please. Feel very confident about timings and distance so no issues there. Just ot confirm, do i need to bring any lock at all? thanks in advance

• that's great @stealfwayne. welcome

On the intro ride (or in fact any of our rides), no lock needed. we will be either on the bike or have the bike in sight, so no need of a heavy lock.

• That's great Martine, thank you for the confirmation. I just saw the ride is full... (sad face) Unsure if I will allowed to join you guys at the cat in the park pre 8:30am.... please let me know if I am able to mingle with to ascertain my level, which is what I want to be doing on my first group ride for over 20 years.

• dear @stealfwayne Ideally you would be able to follow the intro first. However if not possible the next one will be in a month time, or you can join a C-ride on Sunday (and ask someone to give a personal intro to group riding).

However what happens in most cases is that a few people can't make it in the end and sign out again, so it would be best to keep an eye on the forum and the attendance list to see if a spot comes free.

• @stealfwayne I'm in for that day, but I still have to double check, because of a job issue. In case I'm not going, you can go instead of me (70% possiblities that I'll have to deal with my job), :-(
    I'll have to join for the next one. Anyway, I'll confirm you, is it ok?

• @stealfwayne - Keep an eye on this event as people do drop out leaving places available.

If you read the blurb fully under the heading 'What to Leave at Home', it does say to not bring a lock.

And to everyone attending, please make sure you read the information in the first comment under thoroughly before attending. Extra luggage and weight will not make your ride any more pleasant or easier! There is a lot of other crucial information in there as well so please give it a read.

• If a space becomes available on this intro ride please can you let me know. Keen to join a cycling club.
    Andrea

• Just keep an eye on this forum Andrea. It is a first come first go policy. But out of experience 2 or 3 people give up their place in the last few days before the ride. Hope to see you soon.

• Apologies but I can no longer make the ride this Saturday. I hurt my ribs at the weekend which makes being out of breath very uncomfortable. Rather than slowing the group down to walking pace or fainting on every climb I'll pass my spot up to someone who is able to ride a bike this weekend. I'll hopefully see you all in March.

• I hope you recover soon @Ian See you in March

• Is it possible to take ians place or has this already been taken?
    Andrea

• @user48312 It looks like it's already taken I'm afraid Andrea. If you scroll to the top of the page and click the "+12" button, just under where it says 16/16 you see a list of 16 people attending, none of whom are @Ian

• Hi DanR.Thanks and yes I am still very much interested so hopefully even though I just read this today I am not too late.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 14 February 2015

Posted by Avatar for The_Other_Rob @The_Other_Rob

Actions