An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.
Next ride: 14th March 2015 08:30 am - meet at the Holloway Road side of Whittington Park.
You must be signed up for this event to take park. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below PLEASE READ
This is not a session for complete cycling beginners and we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.
ALL ABOUT YOU:
- You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
- You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
- You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
- You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.
- We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
- There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
- The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.
HOW DO I JOIN IN?
If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
- Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full.
- Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Hybrid bikes are not ideal.
- Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. - Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
- Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
- Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
- Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
- Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
- Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)
WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
- Bike Locks. You won't need to lock up your bike, and locks are heavy (and make you slow)
- Rucksacks. Road cyclists travel light - you should too! Wear a jersey which has pockets for your food and tools.
ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.
Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.