Thibaud

Member since Aug 2015 • Last active Dec 2017
  • 5 conversations
  • 324 comments

Woodford-based Forest dweller into cross, road and track.

Most recent activity

• in Getting started with ICC

I've just bought a Synapse (carbon) and it's my second bike since going back to cycling in late 2014 after 20-odd years as a Basketball player. Injury forced the change and the first bike I bought was a Rose DX2000 Cross bike (slightly over your budget but great value). That's an aluminium cross frame with 46/36 chainring and yet I did both the Tour of Cambridgeshire and PrudentialRide100 on it in 2015 with a 29km/h and 27km/h average respectively. I have a set of road wheels and cross wheels so have just swapped as and when. I've enjoyed my riding on it so just shows you don't need to overly obsess on a 'race', 'sportive' or 'gravel' bike. Most bikes can do most things.

It took me that long to get an idea of what I wanted from a bike as well as being able to choose a frame that would fit me. I got myself fitted on the Rose last March and used the data (particularly stack and reach) to buy the Synapse. The Rose came with disc (mechanical) and 10spd 105, which I believe is now equivalent to this year's Tiagra. The Synapse is also a disc bike (Sram Red HydroR). I like disc brakes and wouldn't buy a bike without them as they fit what I use the bike for. Cross off-road through Epping Forest and surrounding bridleways/towpaths on the Rose and long(ish) and steady(ish) rides on the Synapse plus sportive (this year's Velothon Wales, ToC and RideLondon100). I like a comfortable position so chose an endurance model. I narrowed my choice using my fit data, something you haven't got, so Ollie's advice is spot on, try the bike if you can. I notice you are looking at a Specialized Allez, why not the Roubaix? Finally, if you're looking to stretch your budget, a look at online retailers Rose or Canyon might be worth having.

Whatever you chose, get it fitted properly and just enjoy riding it. When I bought my Rose, within 12 months the equivalent groupset had gained a cog at the rear and hydraulic brake operation, things move so fast there's no pleasure trying to keep up!

Oh, and ability-wise, I'm 1m89 and 110kgs and I chose the club as it is so welcoming. I have cycled with members on organised rides and on the track and have never felt out of place. Very welcoming, so much so that I cycle an extra 30kms to and from home in Woodford to attend the weekly ride, when I do.

• 48 comments

@SamuelD I am based in Epping Forest (Woodford end) and I know a few routes using the Forest itself, as that's where I work. I do a 30/40k loop, longer if you take in some road and head towards the Stort Navigations over at Little Hallingbury. I am also booked on the Tour of the Cornfields on the 6th of September, 100km route for cross bikes. Check event posted in 'In The Saddle' forum. Will have a look at creating a route linking in all the places I use.

Good point, I have now.

Sent you address details in PM.

@Jack_S I'm thinking 7.30 start just north of the Waterworks on the A104 if that works for you. Hatfield Broad Oak and back is about 70k.

@Martine Sadly she is terrified of riding on the road, so that's a no go. Believe, I have tried.

mmmm....not sure about that! Want to get in around 80k so a 7.30 start it'll have to be. I want to buy a track bike so picking my battles is key see.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to pull out as I am getting grief from the better half about a bbq we're meant to attend between 11.00 and 14.00. Apparently turning up in my club attire simply isn't acceptable so may have to go it alone and start earlier from home. Bugger.

I plan to be there too, what pace are you thinking?

Actions