Kos

Member since Nov 2014 • Last active Nov 2023

Most recent activity

• in Forums

Great write-up, as usual. It almost makes me want to try TTs. Almost....

• in Getting started with ICC

There are a few of us. See the CX thread.

I am an avid bike shopper and have my own comparison "site". Its called my brain and I know the prices of many components, where the cheapest is and where to check online to be sure.

I am not sure if this is of any use to you but happy to discuss.

Why wait till April? Come along to a ride on Sunday and take it from there. I am confident that you will want to join after that (patting own back, blowing trumpet....)

It is not possible to spend more than is justified on bikes. No matter what the amount, it is justified.

If budget is an issue then you can always cut down on on non-essentials such as rent, food, children's birthday presents and the like to fund the bike.

I really don't understand the idea of buying something substandard knowing that you are going to replace it. You are then left with something that you will have to sell for a loss or keep it, lose all the money spent on it and have the hassle of storing it. In addition, life is too short to ride substandard bikes. Yes I am a total bike snob.

A decent aluminium frame with a carbon fork, 11 speed Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival (or maybe Tiagra/Apex depending on budget) is what most people would be more than happy with, won't cost the earth and is easily upgraded. It will almost certainly come with a standard wheelset that can easily be replaced in time.

A full carbon frame might be an expense too far at this stage but if you have the money why not?

Definitely test some bikes out - it what you think that counts. I would get an 11 speed groupset though - the 11 speed groupsets are vastly superior to their 10 speed predecessors.

Road bikes are my thing but I would get the best you can afford.

Buy cheap, buy twice. A false economy as you say; you can spend that money on kit, wheels, bike holidays.

Why don't you get your partner to take "more acceptable" clothing to the BBQ that you can change into?

Failing that, tell them what Sean Kelly told his wife live on TV "The bike comes first."

Problem solved.

Actions