of 2
/ 2
Next
  • whittington park, london
  • 82.3529411765% Complete
    14/17
  • Going 14
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

If you are new to the club please make yourself known to the ride leader so they can confirm your attendance to our membership manager.

ALL ABOUT YOU:
    1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.

4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders.

A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:
    We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?
    If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.

Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.

Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!

Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.
    The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).

Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.

RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Game. Looking forward to this, went to the one in June and learnt a lot

• Looks like I'm too slow to sign up again :( If anyone has to drop out be grateful if you could let me know! Thanks

• Likewise - if someone drops out, please comment so we can grab a space! :)

• Enjoy my space guys :)

• @mikeOB @Claire_Mawer @Mikey_Haydock @jemstone @Reinaert @djh @user78764 @Danielle @user77112 @SuzyC @user78953 @user78954 @ACatcheside @JakeS @VictoriaLop @gus4000 @Jyde

Hi all, just a reminder of the Intro Ride you have signed up for this Saturday 5th Aug. Meet at Whittington Park (Holloway Rd entrance) 08:30.
    These introduction rides are only organised once a month and are therefore very popular. If for any reason you can't attend, please click the 'can't make it' button above to free up a place for someone else. Hope you all enjoy the ride.

• Hey there, have had to pull out so there's a space going!

• Great. Thank you.

• Really really apologise - but I have a last minute repair man coming on Sat morning now - and can't make it.
    I'm on the 10th Aug one - so hopefully after that i can join as did a great intro ride on a Sunday with u guy back in early July.
    Have fun!

• Hi guys.
    I would like to join your ride tomorrow as a guest, if it's possible, please...

• Have freed up my space @Jaroslav

• Thank you. Looking forward for it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Hello guys! I'm Alessandro and I've just joined the forum! Are there any spots left for tomorrow?
    Thank you.

• There's one now. Click "I'm attending" at the top of this page and you're in!

• Done thank you very much! I'll see you guys tomorrow!

• I can't make it tomorrow, hopefully someone sees this in time to use my spot! @AlecJ do you know when the next one is going to be?

• Jake, the next Intro Ride will be on Saturday 2nd of September. I don't believe there is a post for it yet, but if keep checking the forum and it should be up soon.

If you are fairly comfortable cycling long distances and just want to see what group riding is like, why not try one of the group skills sessions?

• Hi all,
    I will be leading one of the two groups for tomorrow's ride. Please make sure you have the following with you:

• spare tubes and tools/pump
    • water for hydration
    • a snack for feeding (a banana, cereal bar or flapjack can do)
    • you are properly dressed (helmets are mandatory, if you think you may be cold, a packable jacket is advised)
    • make sure your tyres have a suitable air pressure and your brakes/cleats (if any) are in road worthy condition. It has happened that people had to go back home due to these misses.

Looking forward to seeing you all in the morning! :)

via GIPHY

Cheers,
    A.

• Sorry, I won't be able to make this ride.

• Good ride today folks - nice formation riding, felt pretty safe, compact and well into "B" pace. One takeaway is to pass all calls back down the group so we're all informed.

I've passed your names (my group) to the membership secretary. Could ?Lucy Green (riding the nice Liv Envie) confirm her name/forum name to @EvaJ

See you all out on the road!

• Great bunch today! Really enjoyable ride, well done everyone! It's been a pleasure! See you on the road soon! :)
    And a very short but useful video ;)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtยญu.be&v=WJiixtKuVq8

• Thank you guys for nice ride. Very well organised, hope to see you soon.

1 Attachment

• 20170805_104016.jpg
  • @NicoleGee seems to be overlooking the repairing works quite well!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• I know my area of expertise - quality assurance ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An introduction to club cycling - 05 August 2017

Posted by Avatar for Alec @Alec

Actions