of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 91.6666666667% Complete
    22/24
  • Going 22
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 2nd July 2016 at 08:30 am.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders. A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:

You must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    A bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly.
    Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    Energy/food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Hi
    I would like to attend this ride.
    Can you put me on the list please.
    Paul Brewster
    Thanks
    Paul

• @Bluecoolthings (Paul),

The only way you can claim a space on the ride is to click "Yes, I'm Attending!" at the top of this thread.

Cheers

Ed

• I am happy to help with the Introductory ride on Sat 2 July though not to lead the route. I have been a member for 1yr and come out occasionally on Sunday C rides. BW Rachel

• Hi all,
    I would like to join this ride and the Club. I have moved to London in the last couple months from Sydney where I rode regularly. I am still getting to know London and her roads and thought joining a club would be a great way to do that. Back in Sydney I rode occasionally with Sydney Cycle Club. I already clicked the "Yes, I'm attending" button which I hope is ok.
    Cheers
    Sean

• Hi Sean,

Welcome! Yes, indeed you are in. I hope you enjoy!

It would be hugely helpful if you could change your forum name in the settings menu in order for us to easily trace people who are attending. Otherwise we will have loads of people called userXXXXX and it get's awfully confusing!

• Of course - done (I think)!

• Hero :)

• Alex
    I want to make some comments on the tone of your introductory text. I talked to people from CC in Finsbury park at the bike week thing a couple of weeks ago about finding other people to ride with. We talked about the problem with sport riders dominating clubs and there not being anywhere where very experienced riders such as myself and my partner who ride everywhere across London and do touring, can ride with other like minded folk. We ide for pleasure not competition. The CC people said we weren't alone and to come along and do an introductory ride - so here I am looking you up but we are seriously put off which is a shame and here is why.

1. I will decide if I wear a helmet not you. It is not the law and there is no evidence that it makes my cycling experience any safer. CTC have done alot of work looking at this issue and you have no right to to insist as we would be coming at out own risk. I have riden on the road for 50 years now in dense traffic, the countrysidee, off road etc and never hit anything, been hit or come off.
    2. I always carry a lock and it is no hardship to do so. Probably the reason I don't get my bike stolen. Who is to say whether I might wish to dip out or stop somewhere.

Sorry to be so critical but you tone is very dictatorial. Perhaps you can point us in the direction of someone in the club who has a rather more felxible and open approach that we could do an introductory ride with, as we are still keen to find people to ride with.

Thank you

• Hi,

Thanks for your comments (didn't get your name).

Sorry to hear you don't like the tone, it is offered as guidance and isn't intended to offend. The text regarding what to bring is intended to let riders know they can travel light - if you frequently travel with a lock and are comfortable riding over 25 miles with a lock then please bring it. As for helmets, it will be club policy from 1 July that riders wear a helmet (or equivalent protective headgear) so unfortunately there will be no other intro rides that you'll be able to attend unless you follow club policy.

As for your comments about sport riders/racers I'm not sure what you're talking about here. ICC is an open club with members from a mixed background and so I don't understand where you've this impression. I personally cycle for pleasure and have not raced nor intend to do so. Is there something in the text that suggests we are racer dominated?

• Hello Alex

At the risk of asking a silly question - where do we meet on Saturday? Also if it is pouring with rain, do you still go?

Many thanks
    Cath

• Hi Cath,

Don't worry it's not a silly question! I'll send the full ride details out on Thursday which will include the meeting place so keep your eyes peeled for that - I'll post on here so people know. We will ride rain or shine so just make sure you're either prepared to get wet or wear something waterproof!

• Hello all! I've just sent out the joining instructions/ride details for those listed as attending above. Look for the yellow envelope in the top right hand corner of this page, click that and it should take you to your messages.

If you haven't received it or have signed up after the original mail then please let me know and I'll forward it on to you. We will be accepting new attendees until 9pm on Friday.

Similarly, if you can no longer make it then please vacate your space and advertise on here that one has come available.

Thanks all, happy riding!

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for organising and for the joining instructions. Unfortunately I can no longer attend (unexpected in-law duties) so I've vacated my space. I hope to be able to make the next intro ride.

Patrick

• @AlexD do you need a leader/ follower or are you all set for this one?

Happy to help if necessary

• @patjnixon - not to worry, duty calls! Hopefully see you on the next one instead.

@eds - we have a full quota for this one but thanks for the offer. I'll add you into the organisation huddle so you can see what rides need help etc.

• Yes plz

• Hello - I don't seem to have any messages, I think I probably signed up after the original email...if you could email me the joining instructions, that would be great! Thanks.

• Did you click "Yes, Im attending" at the top of this page? Doesnt look like you did.

• Ooh, that's odd! I'm sure I had, but you are quite right that it now doesn't appear that I am attending...I must have somehow unclicked. But, that explains why no message - sorry about that! Quick question before I do sign back up, how hilly is the ride this month? I'm recovering from a tibial stress reaction and am a little concerned that it might not be up to lots of steep hills yet (not to mention that I'm rather slow up them!) If the ride is likely to be quite quick and hilly, I might try and do a bit more riding and join you another month. Thanks, Beth

• Paging @alexD to send the knowledge your way.
    Don't imagine you'll come across significant hills on the intro ride, but I'll let him confirm.

• Hello,
    The ride is neither very quick nor very hilly. There are a few hills, but we take them slowly, at our own pace and regroup at the top if needed. We target an average speed of 11-12mph but slower if needed. Really depends on the group.
    Orestis

• Hi Beth, as @Orestis says it's not a fast ride and it's not very hilly either (there are some lumps but we take them steadily and wait for everyone to catch up at the top so no worries there!). Let me know if you decide to sign up and I'll ping you the info.

• Hi all, i've just signed up to come on the introductory ride tomorrow morning. I've been riding for about 2/2 and a half years not but never really as part of a group or club so looking forward to this.

Where do you guys meet for this ride?

Cheers

Alex

• Hello Alex,

I've forwarded you the message with the information - you should see a yellow envelope on the top right corner! If not, do let me or AlexD know. See you tomorrow!

Orestis

PS: if you could change the username to something less generic it would be fantastic, and much appreciated. Ta.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - July 2, 2016

Posted by Avatar for alexD @alexD

Actions