Accident help - Radlett revolution

Posted on
  • Hi,

I wondered if any of your members could help me.

Last summer I had a bad crash on my bike after hitting a pothole whilst cycling the Radlett Revolution. Given its a route I believe the ICC do regularly, I wondered if anyone had ever made a complaint about the pothole. Its next to a drain outside of a property called Ridgeways on Barnet Lane, WD6 3QU. The hole is around 70cm long and just under 5cm deep.

The council are denying liability and my solicitor has asked to see if anyone has raised an issue with the pothole previously.

As mentioned, it was a nasty accident, leaving me with a badly broken collarbone, dislocated shoulder, and extensive cuts, bruises and road rash - not to mention extensive damage to the bike.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Best wishes

Darren

• Hi Darren,

I got your email earlier and posted in another section on the forum about this.

Unfortunately (so far) no one within the club can recall reporting this pothole. https://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ is a good source, both for reporting a pothole and investigating whether it had already been reported but it doesn't appear to be on there.

If anyone posts anything on the other thread that is of use to you then I'll be sure to pass it along, likely they will use this thread now if they come up with any thoughts on the matter.

Really sorry that this happened to you, I hope you can get some kind of resolution and obviously we send all the well wishes your way. Hope your injuries heal fast.

Thanks,
    Sally

• As above Darren.

Canvassed quite a few members who ride the route a lot and have drawn a blank so far.

Obviously we'll post here if we hear anything back at which point you should get an email alert.

Sean

• Thanks so much for your help Sally and Sean - really appreciated

I’m back on the bike (just got back from a few very cold laps round Regents) but shoulder hasn’t healed and needs surgery. Hopefully can book in when COVID eases off.

Realise it was a long shot but thanks for trying

Best wishes

Darren

• Hi Darren (@user125215) did you also contact other cycling clubs, I'm sure it features on many routes?

• Darren - you could send an FOI request to Barnet Council to ask if any concerns had been raised about this pothole and if there were any repairs or maintenance work scheduled.

• Thanks for all your help. Will follow up with a few north London clubs and check with the solicitors around the foi (it’s actually Hertfordshire rather than Barnet ).

• You don't need solicitors to do an FOI. Just write asking for the information and say you are requesting it under the FOI (you shouldn't actually need to quote the Act in theory but in practice its best to).

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Accident help - Radlett revolution

Posted by Avatar for DarrenB @DarrenB

Actions