Sad news: The passing of Leroy Hodge

Posted on
Page
of 3
Prev
/ 3
Next
  • I like the idea of doing the Brighton run in his name, and potentially doing a whip round. I’ll post charity details when the family get back to me.

• I remember that ride so well. He was great company to spend a whole day in the saddle with, always a gent helping out. He volunteered to do a recce of The Great Escape last year too - he was always prepared to help out.

• Yes, that would be a nice tribute.

• I agree that naming the Brighton Ride for Leroy this year might be an appropriate tribute. If his family wanted to have some involvement then they might also derive some comfort from that. I will miss our gentleman giant on the road. Godspeed Leroy - may the wind be always at your back !

• Ride in peace Leroy - a true gentleman and immense fun to ride with. I’m truly gutted

• The family have told me that they wish any donations to go to The Sickle Cell Society. The club will be donating £100.

• What a great presence Leroy always had whenever I saw him round the park. I only heard yesterday and am still shocked and saddened. Warm hearted, wonderful Leroy, I would like to think there is a perfect stretch of tarmac in the sky for you. You will always ride with us.

• In memory of Leroy the club has just donated £100 to Sickle Cell Society.

"In memory of our friend and clubmate Leroy Hodge. This was a cause close to his and his family's heart. May you rest in peace. With love from the members of Islington Cycling Club."

• Such sad news. He was a proper lovely bloke, had the pleasure of riding saturday laps with him on a number of occasions. Well done to the club for holding a minute’s silence at laps yesterday to remember him, that was a really nice touch. Rest in peace, Leroy.

• I propose (if it’s acceptable to everybody) that when everyone has had chance to post their messages that we move this post to the public ‘clipping in’ section of the web site. The family will then be able to easily read all of the comments should they wish to. I think whenever you’re grieving, anything and everything you can read about your loved one is valuable and appreciated to make sense of their life and their affect on other people. It seems quite clear that Leroy was someone special to many of us and we should celebrate that.

• That's a nice idea Sean. I'm sure it will mean a lot to Leroy's family to see how much he meant to members.

• Yes, great idea @SeanW. I hope it brings some comfort to the family, it's obvious from the many comments that he was so well loved in the club.

• Go ahead @SeanW 👍🏼

• My intent was to pdf and email this thread to them - removing the discussions about whether we should pdf and email the thread to them or put it in the public area ;-)

We can do both I think

• Echoing the heartfelt comments made by others.

I knew Leroy from Saturday morning laps, and he was a joy to cycle with, not least because of his shielding abilities, but more because of his friendliness and inclusiveness.

He will be missed!

• +1 Lovely gesture.

and +1 +SeanW

• @SeanW great idea

• I heard this sad news on Thursday - it's really hard to put my range of emotions into context, disbelief, shock and true sadness. I remember when I first met Leroy at Regents Park laps - simply larger than life! A really caring, kind, conscientious soul who quickly progressed to often sit up front on rides. I loved riding with Leroy he was a super cyclist and a marvelous windshield!
    The last time I spoke to Leroy on the forum was to stand in for him on an intro ride as he had been unwell for a few weeks. I never thought it was the last time I would speak to him....
    A true 'gentleman giant' there is no doubt that he will be missed.

• We're dedicating this year's Brighton ride to Leroy and @ColinFisher has set up this JustGiving page for anyone who would like to make a donation in his memory. Leroy's family has asked for any contributions to go to the Sickle Cell Society.

• £110 has been donated already. Thank you.

JustGiving insists on a target being set so I put it at £200. It doesn't matter what the target is, just that those who want to can make a donation in Leroy's name.

• Donations are now at £200.

Thank you everyone who has donated so far.

• As of this evening (11th Feb)

1 Attachment

• Screenshot 2020-02-11 at 00.25.27.png
  • To all who are interested, I have now been sent the details of Leroy's funeral.

This is from Leroy's daughter:

My fathers funeral has been arranged for Monday the 24th of February at 12.45pm at West London Cematorium (980 Harrow Road, NW10 5NX), with the wake (everyone welcome) at The William IV pub to follow (786 Harrow Road, NW110 5JX).
    Please pass this on to whomever would like to come, wearing black is not necessary and hats are encouraged, as my father loved a hat!

I plan on attending, not sure if I have a hat to wear but imagine there could be a small sea of ICC caps if nothing else!

• I too am planning to go. I have a hat, unless we feel it appropriate for us all to wear an ICC cap?

• Christian and I will be there

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Sad news: The passing of Leroy Hodge

Posted by Avatar for JonnyK @JonnyK

Actions