Garmin Connect

Posted on
  • I'm thinking about getting a cycling computer and i've heard from people around that Garmin is a go to cycling computer. I'm open to any recommendations and am wondering if there is a group which i could join (In Garmin Connect) and how I could do that as currently i'm only using the app on my phone.
    Thanks in advance!

• Hi @Vincent_Azmi I don't know if there's an ICC Garmin group but there is one on Strava, and most people sync their rides to Strava directly in any case (it doesn't count if it's not on Strava, right?!) My experience of the Garmin connect app was that it was clunky and frustrating and not necessary if you're already on Strava.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/islington-c­ycling-club

• Hi @Vincent_Azmi, while Garmin is the more established player for cycling computers, depending upon how much you are looking to spend and what you need the computer for, I would also consider a Wahoo. They are great little navigators with awesome battery life (lasted me more than 12 hours on a single day so very useful for those epic days). The screen is unaffected by rain and has backlighting for cycling in the dark. It gives you tonnes of flexibility on at metrics you want displayed and effortlessly posts your rides on strava, Ride with GPS, training peaks and other platforms. Saving new routes to the device is just as effortless, easily doable from your phone or on a computer. It can even connect to your indoor trainer if you have one. I haven't once faced a technical issue with mine so far e.g. Rides not saving or device crashing. Anyway, ramblings over, if you are looking for a device with route navigation, consider the wahoo.

• ah thank you, i’m following now :)

• Thank you for the quick reply, i will definitely consider wahoo, all i need a cycling computer for is gps anyways since my phone dies after a long ride which is impractical. In terms of money id go for anything solid under £90, previously looking at the Garmin 25 but i’ll look for some wahoo now. Thanks again

• It is nice to have the automatic upload at the end of a ride so now have the Garmin 520. If you don't mind connecting to your computer to upload the ride, I have a Garmin 500 you can have for free.

P.S. You need Garmin Connect I think to upload from your Garmin cycle computer, which then syncs with Strava.

• No way. What. I'm speechless. I can't accept that. Wouldn't you be much better off selling it, its 14 years old and still sells over £100. Plus i'd feel too guilty accepting that for free. At least let me pay you back in some way

• Oh wait never mind its not that old

• Can anyone help starting from the most basic level?
    I'm after a cycling computer that can sync with strava, and one that doesn't need a laptop or desktop. I only have a tablet for synching (if needed).

• Got a smartphone? Get a Wahoo if budget allows.

• Thanks Carl, That seems to be popular. With that, would I be able to download routes from the Islington.cc Strava page?

• Yes. You may need a premium Strava account though.

A lot members use RideWithGPS for sharing routes as it doesn't require any premium membership. But you will need to remember to save/send a route to your device the night or days before a ride.

Links: https://forum.islington.cc/conversations­/310095/#comment13838852

• +Carl_D +petew Having had free Strava, then Premium, and now free again, it doesn't make any difference to downloading routes to a garmin, though I always do it via a PC. It may be different with a newer Garmin

• Thanks guys, I tried the wahoo app and it set up real easy syncing with the club rides from Strava, and is a bit cheaper than the garmin, will go with that. Thanks!

• Wait for Black Friday. I got a great deal on my Wahoo last year, and Garmin was on sale then too.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Garmin Connect

Posted by Avatar for Vincent_Azmi @Vincent_Azmi

Actions