Our club rides

Posted on
Page
of 21
Prev
/ 21
Last Next
  • We're there all weathers +johnnyw. You're more than welcome to try out a ride with us - we look forward to seeing you tomorrow morning!

• The weather is going to be fun tomorrow. I'll be there.

• We're usually pretty good for getting people out in the rain in fairness

• Really enjoyed today's ride . I shall be joining tomorrow :) hopefully work doesn't stop me from coming to more sundays. Do you guys do any of the big charity runs in the summer, I was contemplating the idea?

• Hi there,
    I am in london for 2 weeks starting today doing the cytech mechanics course in Islington, I am wanting to do some road training during the week and on Saturday mornings. Is the Wednesday eve chain gang ride on this week even in the wet and is there anyone heading over from islington I can ride there with? It would be great to join in with a local club..regards.
    John from Bristol.

• Hi John,

You are more than welcome to join us.

I plan to be there, but coming from Covent garden.
    We meet here... (the york bridge entrance to the inner circle. Just look out for the cyclists in islington jerseys.)
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview/@5­1.526139,-0.153816,3a,75y,330.97h,83.49t­/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skwj4sV1g12iEg4aIHik­tRg!2e0

If the weather is too bad then we will probably give it a miss.
    Keep an eye out on here....
    http://islingtoncc.microcosm.app/convers­ations/132/?offset=25#comment5497

• +James_S - Welcome to the club! There's always Islington members participating in a variety of events here in the UK and abroad. Keep an eye on the forum for specific discussions.

+user6361 - I don't see why you can't join one of our rides while you're in London - come and spin your legs with us! Look out on the forum as people usually discuss who is going down on Weds and Sats. Saturdays in Regents Park are a good bet - 7am if you've got the legs for it, and 8am for a more moderate pace. We meet by London Zoo entrance.

• Thanks Rob and Laura,
    As I am so near I will plan to be there Wed am at 7 am and in the evening too.. I will also be there on the sSaturday morning..again if I can get a loan of a bike, I 'm not sure my Bropmton will be up for it...hoping to get one form the training centre to use...hope to meet you all soon
    John

• Hello All.

Just thought I'd put up a quick post to say thanks for a great ride last Sunday and to say hello....

I was a member of Chester Road Club for a good few years but this was my first outing with you guys and I'm sure not the last. I'm fairly new to London and was so tired of getting horribly lost and bored on every lone ride.

Going out with people who knew where they were going (thank you Stephen) made the morning much more enjoyable even with (especially with) the savage weather. Definately will press the big red button and join up in the next week or so, then I'm legit.

As it felt like I was fighting off early stage hypothermia by the time we hit the cafe in Finchley, I had already decided to swap a hot coffee for a hot bath. So sorry for not being overly sociable. But I'm sure I'll get chance to say hello next time.

Cheers,
    Neil

• Hi,

I'm new to London and I'm buying my first bike this weekend with a view to joining some cycling clubs and riding regularly. I'm hoping to come and try the coffee and cake run- something gentle to get used to the bike and easy back into things!

Can I just turn up at the allocated time and place?

Thanks,
    J

• Hey there +user6374

The coffee and cake rides are the perfect way to start cycling if you are new to the sport (I couldn't quite tell from your post what experience you had....). If you are completely new then do consider building up your fitness base by gently increasing the mileage of your rides.

I think with the coffee and cake rides you can enter through the British Cycling website.

With the club rides just turn up on Sundays, 08:30 at Whittington Park Holloway Road Entrance. The shortest ride is about 30-40 miles averaging 12-14 mph. A good degree of road sense is essential, and make sure you dress appropriately for the weather conditions and bring plenty of food and water with you. Have a read around the 'Clipping In' section for further information! We hope to see you on a ride soon :)

• Hi guys,

I'm looking for a cycling club in North London and I must say you sound like a fun bunch. Is it best for me to come on Saturday or Sunday for my first ride this weekend? Also does the Saturday ride starts at 7 or 8am? I've tried to read all the posts on this, but they seem to be saying different things.

I've got a white Canyon so am easy to spot.

Ivan

• Hi Ivan,
    You are more than welcome to join us on any ride.

Saturday starts at both times, One group meet at 7am and do quite a few fast laps then more people join in at 8am to do some slightly slower ones. Both meet outside the zoo.
    This is more of a training ride.

Sundays are more of a social ride, which tend to cover more distance at a slower speed.

What kind of distance/speed are you used to?

• Thanks Rob. I think I'll come on Sunday. I'm normally comfortable riding up to 80-100km at around 27-28km/h, but I'm a little rusty at the moment! I can do intervals at a higher pace. Hope this works.

Ivan

• Sounds like you'll be fine on our longer group.
    This week @RichardM is leading a ride out to Box Hill I believe.

See you Sunday.

• Thanks very much- I've signed up to come tomorrow!

I was starting to get into cycling about 6 months ago and was riding up to 40-50km (no idea what speed- just jumped on someone elses bike and rode, stopped for coffee and rode some more!) but I've not been on a bike since (I travelled and moved to London). I'm aiming to try and get up to riding 100km in a day. I am desperately keen to try out one of the Sunday rides, but I don't want to hold people up. I'll see how I go tomorrow.

Thanks again and I look forward to joining one of the longer rides very soon.

Jade

• Hi +Jade

Don't worry about holding us up - please do come out for a Sunday ride as they are a lot of fun and we love to see new faces. We run two rides, long and short, and we don't ever drop anyone - I am sure there is a perfect ride for you :)

• Tried to post on the relevant section...just to say thanks for looking out for me today and
    for the gel from Richard atop the hill,Ben and myself had a lovely spin home and despite
    the pain I have joined the club for more of the same!

• Steve - You are more than welcome. Well done!

• +SteveW as a new member, your email has been added to the user list, so you should be able to see everything and post everywhere.

• Hi Islington CC.

I am a possible new member, and wondered if it was possible to join the Wednesday ride in Regents Park this week? I have never been in a chain gang before but have taken part in plenty of sportives so hopefully I won't slow the group down (much). Would a clip on rear SKS raceblade mudguard be ok if it is raining or do I need to have full blown guards?

Gordon

• That sounds great. You'd be very welcome to join us.

• And if you are unsure about chaingang technique then please do join us, this Saturday at Regents Park inner circle, 10am - where I am sure we will be covering chaingangs at a slower pace (and in daylight!)

• That sounds great, I'll come along on Saturday then, 10am inner circle! Thanks.

• Gordon - it is 7am (fast) and 8am (not as fast) on Saturday on the Outer Circle. Weds are 630pm on the Inner Circle. Check the OP at the top for details.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Our club rides

Posted by Avatar for Shannonball @Shannonball

Actions