• For what I have read so far I am not convinced about the keto diet as ketones are produced by the body as an emergency response in case there is little glucose available for the body to function. Not an expert, just interpreting what I have read.

The Plant Based Cyclist book from GCN provides an easy understanding on how nutrition works. It's targeted to plant based but it give a general insight about how to balance fat, proteins and carbohydrates.

HIGHLY recommended is The Huberman Lab podcast. The guy running it is a neurobiology professor at Stanford and he gives very detailed information on how to train and fast to improve alertness of the brain and recovery through sleep. Highlights: 14/16 hours of intermittent fasting, carbs in the evening as they promote sleep and recovery, no coffee after 12, absolute no food 3 hours before sleeping. Seems all sensible and easy to follow bit I personally find it difficult.

As long as the diet works for you, is sensible and aligned with your principle there is not better diets than others as far as I'm concerned.

Caveat: not a nutritionist nor a doctor, just sharing what I found!

• As long as the diet works for you, is sensible and aligned with your principle there is not better diets than others as far as I'm concerned.

This 100% - getting bogged down in minutiae can put people off.

To me there are a few critical things:

1. Decide why you are changing your eating habits - are you looking to remove significant fat amounts (10kg), make significant performance gains or simply want to be a bit healthier.
    2. Finding a lifestyle choice that works rather than a 12 week "diet programme". What I like about the programme I adhere to is it's lasted two years now. Sure I'm not as strict as when I first started it, but my goals have changed (see 1)
    3. Don't fixate on a number - 87kg of muscle weighs the same as 87kg of fat. I always liked Racing Weight's principle of your ideal weight is the weight you achieve your goals at. Tie in your goals with key results, not your key results with your goals.

Caveat: still not a nutritionist nor a doctor

About

Avatar for JonnyK @JonnyK started