of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 45.4545454545% Complete
    5/11
  • Going 5
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: April 19th 09.30am - meeting point TBC

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):

• You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

• You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

• You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.

• You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:

• We will cycle a short route (20 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.

• There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.

The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the forum. Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:

• A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

• Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

• Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.

• Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.

• Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.

• Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

• ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.

• Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

• Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• ICC members - if you wish to provide club support on this ride DO NOT sign up to the event. Please PM me separately. Thanks!

• Here's a guide on group cycling to get you warmed up:

• Hi Laura, this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! I had a quick question though. I currently commute on a single speed bike and am comfortable/confident on it. I rode a road bike for the first time a few wks ago on a mini cycling holiday. Having got the bug I'm in the process of buying a road bike and super keen to get out and about on it. I'm unlikely to have it by 19 April though. Do you think it would be ok to come along on my current bike in the meantime so I can learn about riding in a group etc? My fitness level is good so unless we're going up very steep hills I'd have thought I would be ok. Thanks! Rachel

• HI @Rachel - our route is based on a loop we do informally called the 'fixie' loop so it's designed for single speed and fixed gears and the hills are gentle. It's not completely flat, but if you're happy with a few easy gradients then please come along and join us on the 19th.

Thanks,
    Laura

• Hi @Laura. Sorry for the slow response - that sounds great (and yes, gentle hill should be fine!). Looking forward to joining on the 19th. I'll check back here for details in the meantime. Thanks, Rachel

• Hello.. I am interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and further improve my skills and fitness. I am keen to join a cycling club. I.C.C was recommended to me by my L.B.C. As i have never ridden with a club. Would it be possible for me to participate in I.C.C "Introduction to Club Cycling" on the 19 April 2014? . Thanks AJ

• Yes ofcourse. That is why Laura and I organised these rides. Just out of curiosity, what is your riding experience to date?
    We will be riding at approx. 12-14mph average over a route of approx. 20 miles.

• Hi Ali,
    My cycling experience is both leisure & commuting. I commute round trip of 24 miles daily. Weekends spent cycling over London. I currently own a road bike.

• will be back in london next week and as i've only actually made it out on one club ride before i'm a bit rusty on group skills, so i think this would be useful!

• Hi Laura, i would be keen to sign up for this.....Where do i sign?

• Click the Yes, I am attending button at the top.

• Only 1 place left on this now (I had to knock down the number as someone emailed me off-forum). Myself and +Ali will get in contact with you all this week to confirm the time and meeting place of the ride. Thanks!

• Hi guys,
    Any room left for a new joiner on the 19th?

• Hey Luca, looks like there's one space left-click the 'yes I'm attending' button on the top left of this thread to reserve your space

• Hi all - please keep an eye on your message inbox (top right corner of the forum) for details of the ride. We'll aim to send these details to you on Thursday. Thanks!

• Hi. Is there any space left on this ride? I would really like to join you guys if possible. Scott

• Laura and Ali - Do you have room for one more on Saturday? I went out for my first group ride with ICC yesterday (and joined the club today!) but would love to learn some skills to help me on group rides. Experience to-date has been cycling with 1-2 friends for 30-50 mile rides once or twice a week since November. Cheers, Kelly

• Hi, is there space still available on this ride on the 19th?

• Hello +Kelly_L - If you've already been out on an ICC Club ride then you won't need to come along for the intro ride as it is more of a taster session for club rides. However, we will be running more dedicated skills sessions for group riding in Regents Park really soon.

@Muttley - no spaces left at present, as we try and keep the group small for safety reasons. However, should a space free up we will get in touch with you!

Thanks,
    Laura

• If you miss out on this session there are a number of things you can do:

1. Join a Regent Park ride on Saturday morning at 8am. Meet by the Zoo entrance. This group will be taking a steady pace around the park, hopefully in group formation. If you cannot keep up, keep cycling until the group picks you up again. Not much chance to get lost in RP.

2. Join us for a club ride with the 'C' group. This is the group for beginners which covers a shorter distance and at a slower speed. If you have good basic fitness, but haven't ridden with a group before then try this.

We run Intro rides every month - so look out for the next one if you'd like to attend (It will be on May 17th)

Also, PLEASE read the Group Riding Guide. It contains invaluable information about group riding and etiquette.
    http://forum.islington.cc/conversations/­687/

• Hi
    I'd really like to join this ride if possible but it looks as if i might be too late, could you possibly let me know if any spaces come up?
    Jess

• Hello, we're just discussing the possibility of increasing capacity so watch this space! I've also created next months event which you can now sign up for.

• I am hoping the 'off forum' space is for me following our email. I have finally got to my pc rather than tablet.

• +helen - that is indeed your space!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 19 April 2014

Posted by Avatar for Laura @Laura

Actions