FAQ: Riding with Islington CC

Posted on
  • How do I know if I want to join Islington Cycling Club?
    We welcome new riders to join us as a guest for up to three rides. After that, you’ll have to become a member to continue riding with us.

How far and how fast do you ride?
    On Sundays our club rides divide into groups that do different distances and speeds. Typically we have 'A', 'B' and 'C' rides with 'A' being the longest and fastest. We aim to never leave anyone behind and keeping together and helping each other is what our club is all about! On Saturdays our Regents Park rides start at 7am (faster) and 8am (not as fast). Check our forum for up to date details of each ride.

Do I need a road bike?
    Ideally, yes. Road bikes are lighter, and faster making them ideal for on-road conditions over longer distances. You don't need an expensive carbon framed machine to see the benefits of a road bike, and many of our members ride steel and titanium frames (along with the standard aluminium framed bikes).

What should I bring with me?
    Stuff to fix your bike - a pump, puncture repair kit, spare inner tubes (2-3) and tools. Plus snacks and water to keep you going. Wear appropriate clothing for the weather and have a set of lights for early morning/evening rides.

"How fit do I need to be to join one of your rides?"
    Ideally you should be able to complete a 40 mile on-road ride at a steady pace without stopping. If you have any doubt about your ability to keep up with the 'C' ride (our slowest ride which averages between 12-14mph) then you should try the 'Intro To Club Cycling Workshop', followed by some 8am Regent Park sessions on Saturday mornings to build stamina and endurance.

I’ve never ridden in a group before, what should I do?
    We run an 'Intro to Club Cycling' session once a month if you are unsure about the demands of club cycling. Check the events in the 'Clipping In section for the next one. Take a moment to look through our Group Riding Guide if you are new to club rides.

Where can I post on your forum?
    You can view most sections of our forum. Once you have registered, you can also post comments and start conversations in the Clipping in section. There is one area (The clubhouse), which is completely members only.

Do you have racing teams?
    We are a new club and are developing both our men’s and women’s teams. There is plenty of scope to get involved.

Are there opportunities for juniors?
    Islington Cycling Club is a British Cycling Go-Ride club. We offer some coaching for 8-14 year olds. Juniors may join our rides, but must be accompanied by an adult.

What else do I need to know?
    Our club runs several social events, as well as cycling events, such as The Great Escape audax – a 200km challenge ride - and club time trials.

• I should have mentioned one more thing:

Winter Supplemental

Please attach mudguards to your bike October - April.
    Please bring more than one inner tube - and ideally three. Punctures are more common in the winter months. Spare inner tubes make for speedier repairs on the road rather than trying to make repairs to the inner tube with patches.

• Laura - Thanks for this, which looks great.

• It is still APRIL and yesterdays weather was foul.

Please use MUDGUARDS

• Amen

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

FAQ: Riding with Islington CC

Posted by Avatar for Laura @Laura