• Hi Alec,

Do you have any tips on how to build confidence on roads and build endurance prior to joining a group ride?

I can ride a bike, but I'm new to riding in a city, so I only go at quiet times or on quietways because I find the traffic intimidating (cars and faster cyclists). I also haven't gone more than a few miles at a time. I really want to do more, but I'm not sure how to start in a way that feels less intimidating. Do you have any kind of pre-Introductory Group Rides, or any slower-paced members who wouldn't mind doing a shorter ride with me to help me get up to speed? I haven't found anything like that in Islington/Shoreditch yet, so any tips or recommendations would be very appreciated!

Thanks

• Hi Elizabeth,
    I talk to quite a few riders who are in the same position as yourself and mostly I recommend riding around Regent's park, either by yourself or by coming along to one of our Group Skills sessions, which are on the inner circle where there is next to no traffic. The outer circle gives you a nice step up from there into riding with other cyclists and having cars come past you but generally because everyone is going around in a circle it's less daunting than trying to navigate any right hand turns into traffic. Laps may sound a bit boring but they are a great way to get your fitness up as you rarely have to stop for lights/turns. If you'd like to start traffic free then set your alarm clock and get to the park before the gates open to traffic (7am).

If you don't like the sound of laps at all then I'd recommend trying out a Breeze ride https://www.letsride.co.uk/breeze as they do all sorts of rides at varying levels and are an incredibly friendly, welcoming bunch (just like us!).

About

Avatar for SallyB @SallyB started