of 2
/ 2
Next
  • whittington park london
  • 64.7058823529% Complete
    11/17
  • Going 11
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below.

PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

If you are new to the club please make yourself known to the ride leader so they can confirm your attendance to our membership manager.

ALL ABOUT YOU:
    1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.

4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders.

THE SESSION:
    We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?
    If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.

Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.

Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!

Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.
    The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).

Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.

RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

Looking forward to seeing you!

• Hi folks, its great that this session is full, infact there is now a waiting list! If you think you might not be able to attend please let me know and click the button at the top to free up a space for someone on the waiting list! Thanks so much!

• I'd like to go on the waiting list please.

• Me too please re wait list.

• Hey guys I’ll get the next few sessions up soon, but basically these rides run on the first Saturday of each month.

• I would like to join the waitlist please if anyone can’t not make it this Sat 03rd March.
    Could you kindly advise
    Thank you

• Will the ride still be taking place if it keeps snowing?

• I will be leading it this Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on the weather. If it looks very cold and or icy then we may well have to cancel. Hopefully not but not looking too good at the moment. We head out to the lanes around Barnet which are usually colder and icier than central London of course.

If it's like it is now outside my window we won't be riding.

• Ok thanks! If cancelled, would it be postponed for a following week or would we have to wait for the intro ride of april?

• It would be a shame to make people wait, if we end up cancelling we will try to put in another session soon - maybe next Saturday if people are around.

• That would be great! Alright, I'll be on the lookout. Thank you very much.

• Hi everyone, I'm afraid due to the weather we will be moving this session to next Saturday (10th March).

Im sure youd agree that this is the best course of action. I hope you can still make it, but if you cant we will try to squeeze you in other sessions asap.

Alec

• Thanks, Alec

I assume this means none of us need to rebook a place? We just turn up as before, but on Saturday 10th instead.

Raf

• Exactly. If you click on the attendee list above you'll see these people (below) are pre-booked for the 10th. If you cannot make it for any reason please remove yourself from the event so we can free up a space for another rider.

For those of you who can, please change your generic userid to something we can recognise. Thank you.

See you all a week on Saturday.

1 Attachment

• Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 23.10.33.png
  • I can't make next Saturday so I've dropped out. Hope to join you on the next one.

• Sorry you can't make it but thank you for letting us know.

• I'd like to attend on 10th

• Can’t make it so dropped out too

• Thank you for letting us know. Sorry you can’t join us.

• Could I be added to the waiting list? Marco

• I'm now unable to attend unfortunately

• Hi I have just added myself to your list for Saturdays ride

• Guys for those that cant make this Saturday, just to remind that we have a Group Skills sesssion after work on Thursday ☺️

• @Anca, @user72347, @user70554, @CamilaOcejo, @JavierGonzalez, @user76079, @JackS, @Benedict, @AndyBooth, @HelenC, @SaraB, @user87420, @user86536, @user87489, @AndrewCannons, @user86463

Morning all, hope you are all still looking forward to tomorrow's intro ride. If you haven't already please read the information AlecJ provided at the top of the post. The weather tomorrow is looking mixed so it would be worth bringing something waterproof (and if you have mudguards on your bike even better).

See you all tomorrow.

(p.s. if you can no longer make it, please free up your space)

• Hi , Just wondering where in Whittington Park are we meeting?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An introduction to club cycling - (3) 10 March 2018

Posted by Avatar for Alec @Alec

Actions