You are reading a single comment by @Deena and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • What are you riding now?

I'd buy your first road bike on the assumption you'll be switching to something else within a year. You can get some amazing bargains secondhand.

• No I disagree Graham, why would you do that? I have the same bike I got in 2014 and it is going to stick with me. I have upgraded my wheels but the frame is the same. There is no reason to spend twice - as Kos says.

• I think Graham's suggestion worth bearing in mind - and strategy probably depends upon what one is looking for.

I reckon it's tricky since getting something (anything) in which you don't have confidence will probably make for less fulfilling riding, but, I gather, it's easy to spend more than is justified - on items that can still be unsuitable or break or be stolen.

Moving from my folder to road bike, I had a good idea about what I wanted - similar to the kind of thing that @CliveR describes. This set a budget and, somewhat in-line with what others have suggested, I ended spending a bit more and being quite happy with my bike.

However, this was never a bike for life, and though I wouldn't want to switch bikes, My riding has evolved*, and I wouldn't mind another, slightly different, steed.

*club rides are a great way to build fitness etc (and I should take care on Sat mornings to avoid being mistaken for an escapee).

About