You are reading a single comment by @Deena and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • At the Mosquito trainer demo evening, there was a chap who spoke about his "Stealth" sports nutrition brand. He described the article. It seems like what was found was pretty much as you describe: if you choose fast food items that provide the same nutrition as you might find in a sports product, you get the same results.

I doubt this is garbage. Looking past the headlines it's not too hard to see that there's no real health comparison. There is though, I think, some dispelling of the idea that special products provide lots more than can be achieved through other means.

I found a quote apparently from one of the authors of the study:

"A lot of the articles out there are totally misrepresenting the study," he said. "We had participants eating small servings of the fast-food products, not giant orders of burgers and fries. Moderation is the key to the results we got."

'course, with the 4-up TTT in mind, I'd suggest that swift teams should go with pre-race giant orders of burgers and fries (kg rather than g).

• fast food items that provide the same nutrition as you might find in a sports product, you get the same results.

Sorry but I have to agree with @StephendS here, there is no way that a burger or chips that have been uber-processed from high-intensive farming produce, and then cooked in a big deep fat fryer in a fast food restaurant, is going to mirror the nutritional value of a sports supplement. If you equate the generic labels 'fats' 'carbs' and 'proteins' then maybe, but that's certainly not how to do nutrition - if it was, then you could eat 100g of popcorn and say that was just as good as a plate of pasta...

• Old friend of mine (now since passed on) used to work with Zola Budd and Francois Pienaar.

In the 90s he used to say that a proper burger, as in top top quality meat, ground, with no processing, was an ideal post workout meal. He'd recommend removing the top bun as the bread was usually the worst part.

I wholly agree the mass produced rubbish served up by fast food joints isn't in the same game, let alone ballpark, but that's with any food surely? The more we process the nutrients out the less we actually benefit.

• I believe that they selected products, e.g. hash browns and orange juice, and, for recovery they found that the results were the same - the sports products weren't providing more of an effect than their nutritional content (which you can mirror to quite a good extent with selected fast food).

No suggestion that typical fast food is as good... until we reach hallowed publications such as the mail online:

"Hooray! You CAN eat fast food after exercise: Burgers and chips are just as good as supplements for workout recovery, study claims"

About