Tim(TLB)

Member since Jul 2015 • Last active Mar 2024

Commuter (of about 4 miles), making detours here and there and trying other rides. Looking for some after work and weekend rides. I have a newish touring style bike and Dahon folder.

Most recent activity

• in Getting started with ICC

@Geoff and @AgathaTomaszewska , @Harry_Jackson , @Chris77 and any other prospective members.

I am going to see who I might get hold of, and try to arrange some sort of 'modest' type of Sunday Hertfordshire ride on which we could take two or three prospective members (guests). If anything is sorted, it'd be a morning ride, departing from some mutually arranged spot - probably Whittington Park.

I'll post a forum 'message' directly to folks mentioned here (you should see a little envelope icon at the top right of the forum page). Any other interested parties are welcome to message me. We'll see if a ride can be arranged.

Hi Chris,

For this Sunday, I was thinking about a shorter-medium sort of typical Herts loop. However, I'm posting here just to check interest from prospective members/guests in case a few folks could arrange something.

If you are already a member, then general forum access can be used to propose rides or check for proposals (with, probably, a meet up at Highbury Fields). As mentioned, rides are often suggested very close to the actual Sunday. Sometimes people can be found at Regent's Park on Saturday morning, and if I don't have anything more specific in mind, I'd probably see if I can find people there.

Just following up regarding interest from prospective members.

@Harry_Jackson , @Geoff , and @AgathaTomaszewska , are you, or any other prospective members interested in finding some sort of ride this weekend?

Probably due to forecast of some rain, there's no obvious proposals of regular club rides, so I am just wondering if I might find one or two other ICC riders for some ride, and we might even be able to accommodate a guest or two.

I also note that the intro rides have only just started up again, and, unsurprisingly, the first is full. There are apparently group skills sessions, this evening (13th) and the morning of Sat 22nd which might have a place or two left.

@SallyB , @seanW , @Wai , @ChrisTsen

Is it still the case that prospective members can join a few rides before actually joining - With the idea of then attending the intro ride or group skills to allow membership to be approved?

I can't remember if there was a protocol for riders to email someone ([email protected])? with the intent to ride as a guest?

And might we have a planned ride or two, suitable for newcomers, this Sunday?

• in Group Skills

@user89740 @user90932 @user91205 @user90790 @Clive @Craig_Bee @Hannah_Menke @AlexP and any other likely attendees, this session is on this Thursday evening.

Could you let us know if you are still intending to make it.

Also, if you have a user12345 type of user name, could you think about changing it to something more distinctive.

I have a Dahon, with 20" wheels, that I have used on a few evening club rides.

This was the bike I was using when I started to ride more, and, before joining ICC, I'd ridden it around Richmond Park on quite a few occasions (and a little further). Later, for novelty, I tried out a solo ride on ICC's NLH route, and a few evening rides when my other bike was damaged.

I did notice the difference.

The bike is, I think, marginally heavier than the 13kg tourer that I normally use, and which, itself, can probably be considered a heavy choice. I think that a 6-speed Brompton will be similarly heavier than most (basic) road bikes used by ICC members.

The larger issue was position and, I think, some more resistance to motion. I found climbing a lot harder. More effort was required in order keep up with others.

For regular club rides, I'd not consider my folder a good choice. While some ICC rides can be quite gentle, our less brisk groups can still move along at a pretty good pace (12-14mph average moving speed).

I'd suggest that, unless one is quite strong, or, at least, very familiar with club ride pace & distance, it's a good idea to make rides easier rather than harder. For initial rides, it is probably wise to be careful with choices of bike, shoes/clothing, and food & drink.

A good alternative is to come along to a Regent's Park group skills session, or possibly to meet people at the Cafe after Saturday morning laps, and get a feel for some of the riding (though laps are not so representative of Sunday rides).

• in Group Skills

@zadoc if you can't make it, could you please cancel you attendance so that it's possible for someone else to jump in last minute.

Hi @Carara

Good to see your message, which has prompted a member's thread for a ride this Monday. I'm going to try a forum message, you should get a little red envelope symbol at the top right corner of the forum window.

I think the typical/recommended joining 'route' is to grab yourself a place on an intro ride, attend that, and/or potentially one of the groups skills sessions that run, and then sign up through the British Cycling page (there's a link from the club web page):

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/club/s­ubscriptions?&club_id=2040

Prospective members are also welcome to join up to three club rides as a guest.

A ride this evening?

Wednesday night is North London Hills night. 18:30 at Whittington Park (Holloway Road entrance).

If the road is closed, the relatively huge detour can be taken to get over the bridge.

Actions