Ollie

Member since Jun 2015 • Last active Apr 2020

New to road cycling in 2015 - it is quickly taking over my life. Cannondale Synapse (2015). Enjoy medium length sportives and trying to go faster.

http://www.strava.com/athletes/5259243

Most recent activity

• in Getting started with ICC

Hi @TomCauvain. I don't think we've chat about this yet - can you drop me an email at [email protected]?

The new face of ICC? #nsfw #nsfl

Can we update the strava thumbnail pic?

Any news on this? Still bugging me

Those bikes you've looked at are all great bikes, but what do you mean by looked at? There is nothing better than going to a good local bike shop and giving candidate bikes a test ride - remember, you're under no obligation to make a purchase. Importantly, a good bike shop should be able to guide you through finding the right frame size and how to adjust the bike to fit your body, which I'd argue is ultimately more important than the bike itself (and components on the bike are least important, almost all of them can... and if you're me... will!.. end up getting swapped out over time).

I ended up trying a few Cannondale bikes and a Scott bike when I was choosing my first road bike last year, and felt than the Cannondale Synapse best suit my needs - though the bike has changed quite a bit since then as I've learnt more about myself :) This is also something that it might be worth keeping in mind - cycling is a big sport, and you might surprise yourself just how much you like it. When I got started I thought I was only interested in sportives, and now here I am finding myself training every other day and racing at the weekend... My point being it might be better to spend a little less in case your goals radically change in the future. It's a bit awkward if you buy a stiff racing frame only to realise you're much more interested in really long gently paced rides (or of course the other way round!)

Also, I should point out that this club has a huge range of abilities - so don't feel you need a flashy bike just to keep up! You'll be sure to find riders who match your ability or provide a good challenge either way. That said... if you want to go and break the bank, I'm not going to try and stop you ;)

Sorry this is a bit of a general comment, but hopefully that helps!

I can't speak official for ICC, but I believe the general consensus is turning up for one of our mid-week rides and introducing yourself as new should be sufficient. That said, I'm not sure how much is going on at the moment as it's still dark and grim outside...

Hey @CliveR, can only echo what's been said above. Interestingly I was in exactly your shoes only half a year ago, and the club gave me lots of amazing advice. Maybe you want to have a read through the discussion back in June: http://forum.islington.cc/conversations/­269357/?offset=25#comment12355745

Fast forward to now, I'm very happy with my purchase. I got a Cannondale Synapse with Shimano 105 components, not knowing what would really happen. I got completely hooked with cycling (and am still beyond obsessed). The bike has grown with me well, and I've learn to to (badly) upgrade components and do basic maintainence, my fitness has upgraded as I've learnt how to train (mostly from advice in this very club), and it's been a bike that's versatile enough for all manner of riding - long rides, short intense sessions at Regent's Park, and this year I started racing on it.

In short, I recommend stretching your budget as far as you can - both with the bike and clothing. You might be surprised as to just what will happen, and as they say: buy cheap, buy twice.

• in An introduction to club cycling

Lovely riding with you all! Looking forward to many more rides :)

http://www.strava.com/activities/3436966­21

• in An introduction to club cycling

@sharp11 There will certainly be another one in August (I would imagine, no one has confirmed this) - the introduction rides happen a roughly monthly basis.

Hi - and that's quite an impressive pair of bikes!

Actions