SallyB

Member since Sep 2016 • Last active Oct 2019
  • 19 conversations
  • 581 comments

Most recent activity

• in Group Skills

Hi,

Sorry to correct, but only our Sunday rides are available to non club members. This is for insurance purposes (we are not covered to have guest riders at any other session than Sunday club runs).

By all means come along and do laps on your own and join us for coffee in the cafe at 9am.

Thanks,

Sally

• in An introduction to club cycling

Sunday rides are at Whittington Park, leaving at 8:30 am. Arrive a bit before hand and keep an ear out for the announcement of the Green ride which we encourage all new/prospective riders to come along on.

Hi,

You don't have to do an intro ride before coming along on a Sunday but you do need to do one before you can join the club. You're welcome to join us for up to 3 Sunday rides before you need to be a member. Otherwise come along to the next intro ride at the beginning of September (details will be posted shortly) or come along to one of the Group Skills sessions, which also count as an intro ride.

My only suggestion is that the username you're trying to change it to is already in use, or is in a format that the forum doesnt like. Can't say for certain as the workings of the forum are such a mystery, but that would be my guess.

• in Clipping in

Hi John,

I replied to your emails first thing on Monday morning, stating that I'm not usually able to check and reply to the membership emails over the weekend and providing you the details of how to come along to the Sunday rides etc. I assume you didn't get this email so I'll forward it on again for you. Keep an eye on your inbox.

Thanks,

Sally

• in Clipping in

@MikeMC do you have it now? I ran your email through the system last night but let me know if it didn't work - it can sometimes be a bit temperamental!

• in Clipping in

Hi John,

Mostly the different groups will ride different routes although there may be a small number of groups who go on similar rides. With a club as big as ours it would take over the roads if everyone were to ride the same route. Our week day rides are different, with everyone riding the same route - but these are much lower in turnout than our Sunday rides.

• in Clipping in

Hi John,

We no longer operate A, B and C rides as we found 3 categories too restrictive for the number of people we have in the club now. We split into four groups: Black (fastest, hardest effort, approximately 35km/h average on the flat), Blue(30km/h average), Grey (25km/h average) and Green (Slowest, reduced effort, 20km/h average).

I suggest you start with a Green group (there will be a new riders group called every Sunday so join that one) and then move up a grade as appropriate. Joining the 'new riders' ride will also help you learn our group riding skills in a less pressured environment.

There is little point going along with a fast group if you don't think you'll be able to hold on for the duration, especially as we operate a no drop policy on our rides unless otherwise stated at the set off. It is unlikely that other riders in the group will let you fall off the back so if your speed is exceptionally slower than theirs then it is slightly unfair to join their ride.

All of our club rides are operated in the same way, you will find that only the distance and speed varies really.

• in Clipping in

Hi John,

I'm the membership manager for the club and will happily send you all the info you need if you send me an email as Sean suggests above. Just one thing to note is that we can only have guests come along on our Sunday rides for up to 3 occasions before becoming a member, this is for insurance purposes. As such, the Saturday laps and the Weekday rides are only available to club members.

On Sundays, sometimes the routes are posted in advance and sometimes not - it really does depend on who wants to lead a ride that day and how organised they are! Generally we suggest all new riders go on a Green ride (easiest pace), these can vary but there will always be one taken out that is around 60-65km. You won't need the route in advance as you'll be well taken care of by the ride leader(s) on the day.

As for crit racing, there is a good turnout by Islington at crits and it tends to be decided among participants as to what, if any, the strategy of the race will be. There isn't anything set by the club for this. For example, if an individual needs some points to go up a category then likely the other ICC club mates will help them achieve that goal, but other times it will just be a free for all.

If you have anything else you need to know then by all means drop any questions into an email to me and I'll be more than happy to help. Send me an email anyway and I can give you more information on the joining/trying us out process.

Thanks,

Sally

• in Clipping in

Hi Dan,

it's actually up to you which membership you get. As your membership ha lapsed for more than 6 months you will need to do a intro/group skills session but you've already signed up to that, so that ticks that box. Once you've done that you can decide whether you want to come back to the club as an ex member or a new one.

Actions