Virtual Club 10 Time Trial (Next running Tuesday Evening 7pm)

Posted on
Page
of 3
/ 3
Last Next
  • Your House
  • Going 5
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• South Mimms Virtual Club Ten on RGT

Do you have a smart turbo trainer and fancy trying our South Mimms 10 mile Time Trial course with sun shining and lapping waves on each side of the road?

If so, we're running a virtual version of the ICC Time Trial at 10am on Sunday morning using RGT. RGT is free until the end of the pandemic. Better still you can even get a premium RGT account.

To do so download the RGT apps (there is one for your mobile and one for your computer, tablet or AppleTV).

Sign up to RGT, then sent a completely blank email to [email protected] from the email account you used to sign up with for completely free premium access. No 14 day trial, just free.

RGT Cycling can be found here

https://www.rgtcycling.com

The link to register/enter/join the Time Trial is 

http://app.rgtcycling.com/event?code=JTw­LRrR5hN

Everyone starts at 10am in a group start.

Please try and log in a few minutes beforehand.

We can't stop you drafting (yet) but don't forget that you're only cheating yourself if you do!

Times will be posted here.

Prizes for those who make the virtual podium at the end of lockdown!

1 Attachment

• Screenshot 2020-05-15 at 20.39.06.png
  • I’ve signed up to give this a go. Not 100% sure how it will work, but should be fun. If we all start at once how do we avoid drafting?

• Well. You can't (currently) in RGT but they are working on the mechanics of it with CTT no less.

A couple of other cycling clubs have a time start where everyone 'starts' but doesn't cycle and then they call out the names on Zoom and count them down. Then they subtract whatever minutes in front of them from the rider's final time.

OR

We all just start at once and thin out. Everyone knows that you're not allowed to draft so it's not that different from real life. There are no 'bots' (I removed them all) so you could only draft a real person.

A small group of us have done this route multiple times to iron out the virtual route. And it is now smoothed so gets rid of the spiky jumps in elevation that virtual routes based on real terrain suffer from.

Am happy to be the starter if everyone would prefer a more traditional (virtual) TT. It will add to the silliness and fun factor I'm sure. Either is fine.

• I’d suggest keeping it simple, giving it a go and seeing what happens. My question was more about if there was something I needed to do to avoid drafting, any options or settings I needed etc. Thanks for putting it together Sean & team.

• No nothing you need to do. Make sure you're logged in ahead of time. It will let you spin your wheels to warm up just like Zwift.

Remember to find it in the RGT app it's not very obvious - it's in the 'Races' section.

Other than that just pedal as fast as you possibly can and have fun recognising the junctions you know from real life!

I've ensured we have 5 runners confirmed already so the event is 100% going ahead.

If you find yourself up someone's backside just push on or let them go ahead as you would in real life. Also bear in mind (as this is a TT) that RGT will slow you down when cornering.

• Reminder that this is at 10am if anyone would like to join in. Come join the race of truth and set yourself a time to beat next week!

• Sorry +SeanW I'm getting my money's worth on Zwift as I like to support monopolies. If you set up a Zwift TT I'll be there!

• Five of us on the start line warming up. Can I use headphones or will I get reported to CTT?

• Hey guys, my mobile app has frozen, so will try to restart and see if I get back in the game...

Update: couldn't get back in as race was finished. I'm listed on the results but looks like it's not in my ride history, so no Strava upload (the horror!). Fun race though… thanks for organising!

• Errr! Peter you won it haha!

I don’t think it matters if your app goes down once you’re hammering away.

Here are the results. Everyone not on this list was either DNF or DNS. Well done everyone. Thank you for joining us.

1 Attachment

• 6E9AB370-6B2A-480B-90C1-C8775994FF6C.jpeg
  • Yep - the screen app carried on, so I finished and then tried to save but no luck... couldn't get on the chat though either, and didn't want to just leave without saying anything! Cool to see South Mimms on Sea though - nice work. Makes a nice change from Zwift, though what's the deal with the cornering?

• Yep - the screen app carried on, so I finished and then tried to save but no luck... couldn't get on the chat though either, and didn't want to just leave without saying anything! Cool to see South Mimms on Sea though - nice work. Makes a nice change from Zwift, though what's the deal with the cornering?

I think there's a couple of things. It clearly prefers circular routes so when you're returning along the same route it kind of sees them as two overlaid roads. Also, it often defaults to left hand drive/opposite side being mainly European. And also as you probably noticed, its doesn't do roundabouts!

Or if you mean the slowing down / red numbers top left hand side? That's basically wasted watts when it turns red as it's braking you at the corners so it expects you to stop pedalling as in real life.

• That was great thanks @SeanW. Each time i ride it I get faster and each time course gets longer 😀

• It seems we have got the correct course length now (once it appears on Strava)!

• Ahh, the overlaid roads would explain the occasional trees and bushes to dodge 😂

Thanks for explaining on the slowing/red numbers - five minutes on Borrego Springs this morning was my only previous attempt in RGT, so not much cornering. Seems more realistic in some ways that zwift to be honest, the power/speed numbers match up better to reality I think?

• I agree. I regularly do the lighthouse ride (Cap Formentor) and it feels exactly the same as in real life. Just missing some goats on the road 🐐 🐐 🐐. Would be a nice group ride.

• RGT miles are definitely harder earned than Zwift miles, more realistic I think. I find the app a bit glitchy but overall it works well. The RGT Stelvio climb is great too.

I’d be up for more club TTs this way, either on RGT or Zwift. Weekday evenings like a traditional club TT could be good. I haven’t made it to chat laps as it’s a bit early to jump on my noisy turbo.

Thanks for setting it up Sean

• No worries. Yes I did the Stelvio last week it was torture.

These are easy to schedule. Only caveat is we need 5 x sign ups. I'm in a special Facebook group specifically created to sign up for each other's rides to be able to test them though so that's no problem if we do have less than five.

• RGT miles are definitely harder earned than Zwift miles, more realistic I think.

i did the full zwift alpe for the first time on sunday - i found myself having flashbacks to climbing the real thing (just with snow this time).

How realistic do we think the times are generally on these things?

• No idea as I haven't done the real thing. This which coincidentally just came out should enable you to compare your real world performance.

• Question, in case this is done again: would I be able to take part using a dumb trainer and the estimated power curve? The newsletter mentioned smart trainers (I think), but most softwares support that as well

• Last time I checked, RGT requires real power input and won't estimated power.

• Unfortunately not Alex. RGT (thus far) has gone the route of just smart trainers. So a speed sensor alone won’t work I believe. A Bkool (free) account could probably do it though. You wouldn’t get the visuals with the free account (you’d get stats and a map view) but you’d definitely be able to ride it. I will check for you.

• How realistic do we think the times are
    generally on these things?

I think they’ve very close Jon. I’d say Alpe du Zwift is much harder and a lot more unpleasant than real life though. Remember also it needs to be set to 100% feedback for total accuracy which I don’t think it is by default. I have a 26 cassette on my turbo though so perhaps that’s why I didn’t enjoy it too much.

• Alex Dowsett said something interesting on the virtual Tour de Suisse BBC commentary recently. It is well worth watching as it’s basically 5 x entire tv programmes mainly chatting virtually exclusively about turbo training which is arguably more interesting than the racing itself. I posted the links on here. Essentially Alex said that by Movistar’s calculations a big fan is worth an extra 20+Watts on a turbo trainer in a race.

https://forum.islington.cc/conversations­/347107/

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Virtual Club 10 Time Trial (Next running Tuesday Evening 7pm)

Posted by Avatar for SeanW @SeanW

Actions