An Introduction to Club Cycling - 4 March 2017

Posted on
  • TBD
  • 100.0% Complete
    16/16
  • Going 16
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 4th March 2017 at 08:30 am.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders. A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!
    Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.
    The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).
    Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:
    ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Roll up roll up!

This session will be lead by @LucindaCarpenter @bergs and @ColinFisher

• Hey,

I'm really keen to attend so if any spots become available or people drop out, could you let me know?

Thanks!
    Nick

• hi Chris Dyson here from spitalfields
    i was recommended by christian Spencer Davies

• Hi guys, I hope you're all looking forward to the intro ride.

For those of you that want to use a gps/see the route you can download it here:

http://microcosm.app/out/GzxSg

• I've just had to pull out due to ill health, if you've not got a space yet.

• Apologies for being technologically challenged, where exactly are we meeting up in the morning? Thank you!

• Hello all,

Firstly, thanks for deciding to come along to the ICC Intro ride and give us a go. Your first run with us will be led by @LucindaCarpenter @ColinFisher

Please meet at the Whittington Park, Holloway Road Entrance at 8:20 for an 8:30 start. There will be a briefing before leaving the park.

For those with a Garmin or similar, the route we will be using is posted below. Note that you do not need a Garmin etc as the ride leaders know the route - please use it as a guide but listen to whoever is leading your ride as changes may be required on the day.

Ride Route

Please let me know if you are unable to attend via reply to this message. Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions. If you have any questions about the ride, please get in touch and we will be happy to help.

We will be introducing how to ride in a group, if you want to do some homework then please see this handy video on the GCN website

As a reminder, the full details of the ride can be found below:

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners and we are not
    teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU: You should have already been cycling regularly in some
    capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads. You should be
    familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If
    you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins
    on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding
    30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not
    yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides
    before coming along. You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a
    desire to ride in a group and improve your skills

THE SESSION: We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss
    group formation, signals, group communication. There will be a cafe
    stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as
    endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the
    club. The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace -
    we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am -
    12.30pm.

WHAT TO BRING:
    You must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition.
    Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your
    brakes work correctly. - Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct
    pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily. Spare
    inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are
    in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very
    least be able to fix a puncture. Energy food. We're only doing a short
    ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the
    day with a decent breakfast. Water. Make sure that you can easily
    carry water with you on your bike. Waterproofs and / or warm clothing.
    The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the
    weather report and dress appropriately. Money. Either for the cafe
    stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you
    need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash
    card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME: BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your
    heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride. RUCKSACKS.
    You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or
    invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF: ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES
    when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two
    abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow
    roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and
    not abusing other road users. Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to
    you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where
    necessary. Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please
    listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

Please be at the Whittington Park for an 8.30 start! We look forward to meeting you all on Saturday!

• Alex, had to withdraw today, have a chest cold that unfortunately hasn't shifted. Will aim for the next intro ride.

• Has your space gone? Thanks

• Hi there, any idea when the next intro ride will be?
    Thanks!

• I am withdrawing today. I'd like to apologise for the late withdrawal; to those who could have taken my place and to Alex for giving up her time to take the group.

I am coming back from a period of injury and though I have always taken my level of fitness for granted, I realise that I am not prepared sufficiently for the ride. I will undertake more solo rides and sign up again when I am in better shape. Enjoy the ride.

• Hi everyone,
    Thank you for the enjoyable ride today.
    Hope to see you out and about soon.
    Happy Saturday

Cheers
    Jodie

• We hope you enjoyed the ride today and learnt something along the way. My group were strong riders, managing the hills well. We managed a full set of "change one"s along Waggon Road, ending up in the same formation we started in - well done. Special thanks to @lindsey for sticking at the back for the entire ride. She observed and commented when we stopped to help every one learn/improve. Really good ride, we look forward to seeing you all on the road soon.

1 Attachment

• IMG_4711.jpg
  • Thank you @ColinFisher and @lindsey - and everyone - for a great ride!

See you all soon for the next ride 👋🏻

• Great ride. Thanks to the organisers for everything, and great to meet some of you. Had a great time. I've joined the club. :-)

• Thank you @JodieH, @Laurent and welcome to the Club @jamesrossiter

• Thanks for a great ride guys & girls! I'm joining the club, so hopefully see some of you round soon :)

• 👯👏🏻

• Welcome to ICC

• Hi everyone, when can we expect the Intro for April, I'm a tad keen to start this cycling life. cheers everyone. regards Mike.

• Hi, next intro ride is on the 1st April. I'll put up an event soon :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 4 March 2017

Posted by Avatar for alexD @alexD

Actions