of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 75.0% Complete
    9/12
  • Going 9
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: June 14th 09.30am - meeting point TBC

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):

You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.

You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (20 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.

There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.

The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance.

Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:

A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.

Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.

Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.

Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.

Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• BUMP. Sign up for next months ride!

• Done! :D

• Hi,

Can you put me on the waiting list for the next introductory session? I hear its full up on June 14th.

Cheers,

Brian

• Ooh blimey - so it has! Don't worry, there are bound to be some drop outs so keep an eye on the forum!

• Hi All, I'm really looking forward to this and to meeting you. :)

• Great +Victoria, looking forward to meeting you as well!

• Hello Just got my first ever Road bike so need some serious instruction! Unfortunately i think i'm away on the 14th June. Please could you count me in for the next one after that? proud owner :)

1 Attachment

• image.jpeg
  • Hello +Max - No problems, just keep an eye on the forum for the next Intro session and sign up when you see it. Enjoy the bike!

• Hi there! I'm very keen to join you guys on 14th June but I see that's all booked up. Can you add me to the waiting list? I will definitely be able to make it. Thanks, Dara.

• Can i be added to the waiting list as well please? ill definitely be able to make it

• Hi
    Do you have a date yet for the next intro to club riding (after june 14th) and would you recommend this as an intro to ICC or would the other rides around regents Park be just as good?
    Thanks.
    Em

• Hello all, there is definitley going to be another date in July - I just have not posted it yet. It will go up after we've run the June session.

I don't keep a waiting list - so please keep checking back here on the forum to see if people have dropped out of the ride. I will try and tag you in if spaces become free.

Please do feel free to either attend an 8am Regents Park Saturday ride or a Sunday 8.30am club ride (in the C group) if you don't want to wait to ride with us. The intro ride is not essential to join ICC.

Thanks,
    Laura

• Actually, if any of you are about this Saturday then please feel free to attend THIS:

http://forum.islington.cc/events/207

It will be very good if you have no experience with group riding.

• Hi Laura, do you know roughly what time the intro will finish?

• Hi Victoria, it completely depends on the rider ability on the day (and how fast we cycle) but last time we got to our cafe stop in East Finchley after about 2 hours (at about 11.45am). Then it is your choice whether to stop at the cafe or not, so you'll also need to calculate the travel time from East Finchley to wherever you live on top of that. Thanks!

• Hi!

Really looking forward to this ride and to meeting you all! :-)

+Laura when should I check back for the meeting details message? Just want to be sure I've not missed them already!

• Unfortunately still haven't got my helmet and believe that you guys won't allow me to join you without it. So I'm dropping out from this session and look forward to join you next introduction.
    +Max +Dara +James_S +em-fitzg - there is one free slot for this introduction, so don't miss the opportunity to fill it up :)

• Hey all, I will send you a Private Message on the forum containing the ride details this evening.

Thanks!

• Details posted! Please check your private messages here on the forum.

• I'm going to have to drop out of this too - got a last minute invite to spend the weekend cycling in Kent and can't turn down an opportunity to get out of the big smoke.

Apologies for the late notice and I hope you can fill the space. Will try and get on the next session!

+Dara +James_S +em-fitzg

• No problems Joe, and thanks for letting us know!

• hello, I've just subscribed :) I have an old road bike because I'm waiting to bring the new one I still have in Italy, and it's been a while since the last ride, so I hope to be prepared for tomorrow :) can't wait!

• Hello +gravityblast - I have included you on the private message. Please read all of the details regarding requirements / times / meeting place and we hope to welcome you on the ride tomorrow.

• Great ride today. Thank you @Laura for leading! Hope to see everyone on a ride soon.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 14 June 2014

Posted by Avatar for Laura @Laura

Actions