of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 91.6666666667% Complete
    11/12
  • Going 11
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: May 17th 09.30am - meeting point TBC

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):

You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.

You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (20 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.

There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.

The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the forum. Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:

A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.

Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.

Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.

Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.

Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Hi - I am not a member but would like to attend this and hopefully join ICC.

Do I need to do anything more than this message ?

Regards, Will Kumar

• Hi @user6908 - as it says above, register your interest here on the forum. You do this by clicking the 'Yes I'm Attending' button, top left.

Then log in to the forum nearer the date to receive time and meeting place info.

Thanks,
    Laura

• Hi Laura,

I'm very excited to hear of this club as I am a keen commuter, weekend and sportive cyclist but have never tried club riding. I have signed up to this introductory group ride but I have a friend who would also like to join. Is it right that all the places are now taken up as the bar above saying 12/12 appears to indicate, or are there more?

Thanks a lot!

Will

• Hi @WillEast - yes it does look like the session is full. We limit numbers so we can deliver this session safely and manageably, so unless someone drops out I don't think we will be able to take anyone else along for this session.

This doesn't mean that your friend can't try out on one of our existing rides - we welcome plenty of new riders on our Sunday 8.30 am 'C' rides and our group ride at Regents Park on Saturdays at 8am. There will also be another intro ride in June, so I will post details of this soon.

• ALL NEW RIDERS - please also feel free to attend our Group Riding Skills workshop this Saturday morning. Meet 9am, Regents Park inner circle.

You will learn how to ride in a group safely, along with 1up and 2up paceline and chaingang formations. COME!

• Hi Laura,

I'm really keen to join the club but I won't be able too until June. Do you have a date for the June intro ride yet as I'm wary I should attend that first!

If not I'll just keep my eyes peeled on here.

Thanks!

• +Brammaldhino you would be welcome at our C group on a Sunday morning SS a good start point in the meantime. Members will be happy to show you the ropes. Also the 8am group in Regents Park on Saturdays would work.

• Hi I am really keen to join up - could you please let me know where the next May Intro to Club Cycling is due to take place

Cheers

Jenny

• 17 May but it is full - there will be one in June. Meanwhile come along to our C ride on a Sunday.

• Anyone who wants to come to the intro session but cannot because it is full my recommendation is this:

This Saturday 8am: Regents Park Laps (meet outside Zoo entrance) followed by
    9am: Group Riding Skills Workshop - (meet inner circle).
    http://forum.islington.cc/events/172/

• +Shannonball, thanks for getting back to me so soon! I'm training for my first Triathlon on 1st June at the moment and that is taking up a lot of my time, but I've put myself down for the 17th June beginner run and providing all goes well I'll sign up to the club and join your C runs from then on!

Thanks!

Michael

• I was signed up for the intro ride in May but can now make this session tomorrow. I am not able to make it for 8am laps but will see you at 9am.

• Intro Ride THIS SATURDAY! If you can't make it then please update your attendance here on the forum, otherwise I shall be supplying details of the ride to you by private message, here on the forum by Thursday. Watch your inboxes for more details.

• Hi Laura
    I've been riding for a few years but solo / with a few friends, and looking to ride with others for the added motivation to get out plus it's more fun. ICC looks ideal as it seems to be pretty social & welcoming & less cliquey than some other clubs... what's the best way to get involved? I don't have much expereince of group riding in a club sense, & it looks like the intro ride this saturday is full? what's the best way to get involved?
    Thanks
    Jonny

• Hello +user7004 / Jonny

My recommendation would be to either attend an 8am Regents Park Group Ride, or join a 'C' club ride on Sunday morning. You don't have to attend the intro session to get started with us. Just make sure you introduce yourself to the group as a new rider and they should welcome you on board.

Details of all our rides here:
    http://forum.islington.cc/conversations/­117/

You can still attend the intro session in June:
    http://forum.islington.cc/events/180/#co­mment18964

And here are some essential tips for riding in a group which you should read up on:
    http://forum.islington.cc/conversations/­687/

I hope this helps!

• Hey Laura,

I'm planning on attending your 8am session on Saturday and would ideally like to join the group skills afterwards- is there a waiting list in case space becomes available before sat or do I just need to keep an eye on this group?

Thanks,
    E

• Hi +Em88 Yep, keep an eye on this forum thread to see if someone drops out, or if someone informs me that they cannot make it then I will let you know.

• Hello - sorry I cannot make this Saturday as I cannot get childcare.

Sorry for any wasted time but hopefully it seems that on here there are others who could take my place?

• +Em88, +user6965, +Brammaldhino, +WillEast - There is a spare place for this session now, so please indicate if you are going to come and I will send you session details. Thanks!

• Hi laura,

Thanks for the update I've added myself to your list (I think)!

Thanks
    Em

• Great stuff, I shall add you into the private forum message about the ride.

• There's another space free, if anyone wishes to join us this Saturday - let me know and I'll add you into the group message.

• Hi Laura,
    I'm a regular commuter hoping to get more into cycling. Could you put me down for tomorrow's beginner's session? Please confirm there's still a place available. Thanks.

Jerry

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 17 May 2014

Posted by Avatar for Laura @Laura

Actions