You are reading a single comment by @Shannonball and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • 24/04/2023 – Highway to Hell

Back in 2010, Rapha staged it’s first Hell of the North ride. An homage to Paris-Roubaix, it was 50 miles in length and featured 20 gravé sectors rather than pavé. These were gravelled paths and dirt tracks – the best they could do without access to French and Belgian-style Spring Classic cobbles. There was an apres ride social at a pub to watch the finale of Paris-Roubaix and enjoy a beer and frites. It was free to take part and take part I did.

I was working as a cycle instructor at the time and went along with an instructor buddy called Neil. Neil was on a cross bike. Sensible. I was on the only bike I had - a steel Peugeot with down tube shifters and 25 mm tyres. How times change. I don’t think I saw anyone else on a cross bike that day, everyone seemed to be on road bikes and all seemed determined to tough it out. Maybe there were one or two MTBs. It also has to be said, there was no GPS routing. There wasn't even a cue sheet. We were given something that looked like a brevet card with a roughly drawn route. It wasn't a map. More like an artist's impression of the route. The route itself was signed by pink chalk marks. I just followed the riders ahead and hoped for the best. The rest stop was fairly spartan, it featured bananas and water only.

Even in 2019 most entrants were on ordinary road bikes with narrow tyres

Times (and tech) do change. When disc brakes came to road bikes, the opportunity for fatter rubber opened up. With that an opportunity for a new kind of bike, the gravel bike, with tyres that were beefier than you could fit on a cross bike. Bikes that could compete with many mountain bikes for off-roadworthyness, so to speak, but were also lively on tarmac.

The route card for the first Day in Hell

In 2010, most riders had 23mm tyres. I took part in 2013 and rode - I kid you not - on a fixed-gear bike with 25s and a 66in gear ratio (48:19). I had quite a few punctures that day and it was a slog. After eight editions of the Hell of the North, Rapha renamed the ride A Day in Hell. Pretty much the same fare, except the event became a paid for thing and places were limited. I didn’t get a place again until the 2019 edition and then, having learned my lesson, rode my titanium (geared) road bike with 30mm tyres. The ride was more plush, but I still got a few punctures.

The 2023 edition was not as muddy as I'd feared

Fast-forward to 2023 and it’s now £25 to enter Rapha's A Day in Hell. The start is from Rapha’s HQ, which is Elthorne Road in Islington. Handy, eh? And it wasn't at all hard to get a ticket, even three days beforehand. This year Rapha offered three routes: 100km (standard), 136km (long route) and 100km (optimised for 28mm tyres). I took on the standard and RideWithGPS indicate about 25% off-road. It wasn’t at all. After 10 road miles you’re into it and it’s mainly off road all the way to when you hit Shenley on the way back. You could pick up several tracks from here if you wanted to stay off road – probably all the way to Finchley.

As you'd expect, gravel bikes now dominate the ride

Compared to 2010, the bikes are of different order. Tons of beefy rubber-equipped gravel bikes and road bikes with 28-32mm tyres. Something that hasn’t changed is that the field is almost exclusively male. I found this odd. Rapha has worked to champion women’s cycling and their RCC rides seem to feature a good proportion of women. I think I only saw one or two women riding, which, as an ICC member and in general a human, did feel very odd.

Two Mason Bokehs enjoy a well earned break in Shenley

This year I worried (unnecessarily) about it being too muddy. There were one or two short sections that were really sloppy, but all were rideable. Rapha set up a feed station in Brickendon at the Farmer’s Boy and there were bananas and tons of bars and gels to grab, along with inner tubes. I got chatting to a chap who was also riding a Mason Bokeh. I think we were both starting to flag and stopped off at the Orchard Cafe in Shenley to refuel. It was only 10 miles from the finish, but I just had to have some real food.

Rest stop giveaway goodies acquired

Below are the three 2023 routes. You can also find all of the historic Hell of the North and A Day in Hell routes on RideWithGPS.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42377131?­utm_campaign=Get%20Ready%20for%20A%20Day­%20in%20Hell&utm_medium=email&utm_source­=exponea
    ?utm_campaign=Get%20Ready%20for%20A%20Day%20in%20Hell&utm_medium=email&utm_source=exponea

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41817400?­utm_campaign=Get%20Ready%20for%20A%20Day­%20in%20Hell&utm_medium=email&utm_source­=exponea
    ?utm_campaign=Get%20Ready%20for%20A%20Day%20in%20Hell&utm_medium=email&utm_source=exponea

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42377248?­utm_campaign=Get%20Ready%20for%20A%20Day­%20in%20Hell&utm_medium=email&utm_source­=exponea

• I did it in 2019 on 25mm 100psi tyres and it was sketchy as all hell but I managed to stay upright by just sending it on certain section.
    When I did it again in 2020 on an actual gravel bike it was still sketchy and can't believe I completed it the year prior on road tyres. No punctures either year though.

About

Avatar for Shannonball @Shannonball started