of 3
/ 3
Last Next
  • Highbury Fields
  • 83.3333333333% Complete
    25/30
  • Going 25
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• "An Introduction to Club Cycling" is a monthly ride run by ICC for people who would like to try out club cycling in a non-pressured and supportive group.

If you wish to join ICC you must complete one of our training sessions, either this Intro Ride or the Group Skills in Regents Park.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate.

Please read our Group Skills Guide before attending:

https://islington.cc/s/ICC-Group-Riding-­Guide-2021.pdf

ABOUT YOU

You should be used to cycling regularly, familiar with your bike and confident riding it on London's roads. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own before you join a group ride with us.

You should have a moderate level of fitness and be able to ride 50 km at an average speed of at least 20 km/h on the flat, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency.

THE SESSION

We will cycle a 50 km route with some hills. We will discuss group formation, signals, and group communication and you can ask questions about the club.

There may be a cafe stop Highgate at the end of the ride for those who are interested. Depending on pace, we should get there between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

Your ride will be led by an experienced club member and a support rider, who have given up their morning to introduce you to club riding. We hope you will reciprocate by volunteering to support intro and group skills rides and other club activities once you have been riding with the club for a few months.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you should register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button above to confirm your attendance. We will ask you to reconfirm a few days before the ride. You will need do this on the Forum.

Click Register in the top right corner and change your user name from the default User12345. To make sure you receive messages please click “Edit Profile” in the top right corner, then click “Notification Settings”, and tick “Enable Notifications”, “When you are @mentioned in a comment” and “When an event you are attending is imminent”.

These rides get booked up quickly. If no places are left, the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.

If you do sign up but cannot attend, please remove yourself from the attendance list so someone else can take the spot. You can do this by clicking the ‘Can’t Make It’ button above which appears once you have signed up.

If you do not attend and do not remove yourself, we reserve the right to restrict your attendance of future Intro Rides and Group Skills. This is due to high demand for places.

If you are a former ICC member please add a note below to let us know.

WHAT TO BRING

As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.

Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are straight, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

Food and water. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or banana should be enough, but do start the day with a decent breakfast! Make sure you can easily carry water with you on your bike.

The weather can change quickly so check the forecast and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).

Money for the cafe stop or to get a train or taxi home in case of an emergency.

Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.

You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast; riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads; obeying traffic lights and signs; not riding on pavements; and not abusing other road users.

Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

JOINING THE CLUB

Once you have completed an Intro or Group Skills ride you will qualify to pay the membership fee and join the club. Once you’ve signed up through British Cycling our membership secretary will process your application and be in touch shortly to welcome you to the club. See https://islington.cc/membership.

Looking forward to seeing you!

David,
    Development Secretary

• Hello All,

Is there anything I can join in sooner before the 7th of May, I'm new and eager to join up :)

• Same here! But happy to wait till then if there are no other openings

• Same here 😊

• @Louis_A @martinctc @user142726 - we are laying on a Group Skills session at 1830 next Thursday 28th which will qualify you to apply for membership. You can sign up here http://forum.islington.cc/events/7182/

• Hi David, signed up! shall see you there thank you!

• Hello, Please let me know if there are any drop outs for this Intro on 7th May

• Hi! I’ll also join this event if there is a slot

• +KatherineP and +IvanSmetanin there is no waiting list functionality so its worth looking to see if people drop out (especially closer to the time). You might also be lucky with this Thursday https://forum.islington.cc/events/7182/#­comment16492267 (though that's also currently fully booked).

• HI All, there is currently one spare place on tomorrow's (Thursday 28th) Group Skills ride, 1830 at Regent's Park. Sign up here http://forum.islington.cc/events/7182/#c­omment16499259

• @Angharad @Antonia @aroe @ArthurMf @bertagt @CallumT @ColmKelly18 @DaisyW @ejhdavis @Flavia @JoeWorland @JosieP @JulianV @kiran_i @ks @LauraS @LewisS @Louis_A @Ludovico @martinctc @Patrick_Carmody @swist @tfs @user136948 @user141163 @user142060 @user142398 @user142972 @Will^Morris @WilsonSzet

We hope you’re looking forward to the Intro Ride this Saturday and look forward to meeting you.

Unfortunately, sometimes people drop out without telling us. Please reconfirm your place by copying the list below and adding your name.

If you are no longer able to make it, please remove yourself by clicking "Can't Make It" at the top of this page. This means others have a chance to take your place and we can make sure we have the right number of leaders.

If you reserve a space but fail to attend we may limit you from attending in the future. If you do not reconfirm, we may have to send you away if we don’t have enough leaders.

Please remind yourself of the information at the top of this thread and read our Group Riding Guide before the ride so we can spend less time standing around during safety briefing and more time riding!

If you still have an @user username it would help if you could change to something more personal. This makes it much simpler for us to process new members after the rides.

The meeting place is close to the centre of Queens Walk which runs directly across the centre of Highbury Fields, see map at the top of this thread. Highbury Fields is close to Highbury Corner and Highbury & Islington Tube.

This is the route we will be doing. Please let me know if you have any questions.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31883560

• If you have booked onto the session on May 7 please confirm that you can attend by copying this entire message and adding your name to the list. (If you remove the @ from your name you won't be emailed each time someone new adds their name).

If you are no longer able to make it, please remove yourself by clicking "Can't Make It" at the top of this page. This means others have a chance to take your place and enables us to make sure we have the right number of ride leaders.

This ride is only open to people who have booked by clicking "Yes I'm Attending at the top of page 1. If you haven't booked but would like to join this ride you should check this page regularly to see if places come free.

etc

• If you have booked onto the session on May 7 please confirm that you can attend by copying this entire message and adding your name to the list. (If you remove the @ from your name you won't be emailed each time someone new adds their name).

If you are no longer able to make it, please remove yourself by clicking "Can't Make It" at the top of this page. This means others have a chance to take your place and enables us to make sure we have the right number of ride leaders.

This ride is only open to people who have booked by clicking "Yes I'm Attending at the top of page 1. If you haven't booked but would like to join this ride you should check this page regularly to see if places come free.

1. Daisy W

1. Daisy W
    2. Swist
    1. Daisy W
    2. Swist
    3. @bertagt
  • 1.Daisy W
    2.Swist
    3.@bertagt
    4.@kiran_i

1. Daisy W
    2. Swist
    3. bertagt
    4. kiran_i
    5. Louis_A
    6. aroe

Daisy W
    Swist
    bertagt
    kiran_i
    Louis_A
    aroe
    Martin C

• Daisy W
    Swist
    bertagt
    kiran_i
    Louis_A
    aroe
    Martin C
    tfs

Daisy W
    Swist
    bertagt
    kiran_i
    Louis_A
    aroe
    Martin C
    Tfs
    User142972

• Daisy W
    Swist
    bertagt