You are reading a single comment by @Martyaaron and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi all,

I attended the Group Skills session on Saturday and i'm now looking to sign up. When i'm processing through my membership form it's asking for me to select between British Cycling Ride (£22) vs British Cycling Race Silver (£19). I was going to process the Race bronze package (£0) however my understanding is that I need a membership that includes liability insurance to attend group rides?

I just wanted to check that i'm not missing anything as the better looking membership is the cheaper price? If someone is able to confirm and I can get this processed and start attending group rides. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Marty

• Club membership is completely separate from BC membership, though you get Bronze for free for 1 year. You don't need anything else to join club rides other than to be a member.

I personally don't think Bronze is worth it and wouldn't pay for Bronze when renewing.

• Hi Marty,

Just to clarify, club membership on its own does not include any insurance to the individual. It would be one of the BC memberships for liability cover for yourself.

I’m not aware of a club policy which requires members to be insured but certainly recommended, maybe jump in @Alec in case there’s something I’m not across.

Thanks,
    Chris

• @Martyaaron

however my understanding is that I need a membership that includes liability insurance to attend group rides?

This always causes confusion - there are really three kinds of insurance that we all need to worry about:

• Personal insurance - coverage for you, your bike and your accessories against accidents/theft (something like YellowJersey, Laka etc). Discounts and reccomendation codes can be found in the forum somewhere.

• Personal liability insurance - are you covered if you cause an accident that impacts a member of the public - eg: you cause a car to smash into someone's house. Many of the insurance firms above provide this, but it is included in BC for Race Gold, Race Silver, Ride and Commute Members

• Club liability insurance - something the club has in order to protect itself against being sued because of things the members do on official club events, or because of things that occur during our races/special events. EG: someone crashes during the Great Escape and sues the club because they think we did not sign post things correctly.

The club has traditionally never asked anyone to have personal accident/theft or public liability insurance. Reading between @ChrisGold words, the committee has not discussed this recently.

My personal view is that anyone with a bike worth more than £500 should insure it (£500 being the amount normally catered for under household insurance), but that's an individual's choice. If you are a BC member, chances are you have liability insurance, and the rest is up to the club.

Hope that clarifies things a little (or at least hasn't confused you more!!!)

About

Avatar for Martyaaron @Martyaaron started