An introduction to club cycling - 02 November

Posted on
  • Whittington Park, UK
  • 52.9411764706% Complete
    9/17
  • Going 9
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

If you wish to join ICC then you will need to complete one of the compulsory training sessions, either this Introduction ride or the Group Skills in Regents Park.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate.

PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency.

ALL ABOUT YOU:
    1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.

4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders.

THE SESSION:
    We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.

There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?
    If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.

Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button above to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.

Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.

Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are straight, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!

Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.

The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).

Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.

RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.

Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

Looking forward to seeing you!

Alec,

Development Secretary

• Looking forward to this, Alec, will you be leading this group ride?

• I don't think Alec will be there but I and 3 other club members will be. Feel free to ask any questions in advance.

The weather forecast isn't looking great but the ride will go ahead regardless. Please all come suitably equipped. If you have to drop out, because of the weather or for any other reason, please let us know by cancelling your attendance as above, as we may not need the full complement of volunteers.

We meet in the park and there is no shelter. I normally turn up a bit early for these rides and if it's pouring down you may find me in The Spoke which is on the other side of the road, a bit closer to Archway, but I will be at the park for 8.30am as advertised.

• Hi everyone!
    my name is Umberto and two months ago I left Italy to move in London for a nice job in the city. So September 7 my new life began with a big luggage and my beloved road bike, always side to me. Unfortunately I had many problems in finding a decent flat (still looking for it) and I had just the time of a tour of Surrey and some few places more (always alone 😢) I quickly realised that here cycling is much different from what I was used to (crazy traffic, pollution, flat flat and flat)... my other bike (Mtb) which I was using for racing is still in Italy... anyway I don’t want to give up with this amazing discipline and people suggested me your club as one of the best for good training and nice mates. So I am asking you if you would like to adopt this sad Italian cyclist❤️ to helping him in discover the beauty of riding together in London, meeting new people and enjoy the freedom of riding a bike... see you on Sat!

• Welcome. Unfortunately it looks like Saturday will have some very English weather but I hope you will enjoy our ride. We have many members of different nationalities and one of our members +ColinFisher spends much of his year living in Italy and has twinned our club with his Italian club so I hope we can make you feel at home.

• Thank you very much Stephen,
    no problem about the weather, I am actually in withdrawal (3 rides in 2 months)... :)
    and I am currently looking for rides in good company, so see you Sat!
    Umberto

• Ehi guys, unfortunately I had a problem with my bike and I can reach the place in time. I am really sorry. If you don’t mind I can fix the problem today and join you tomorrow! Can’t really image how sorry I am...

• Got here a few minutes late (08:38) and looks like the group has left already. Can I join you somewhere? Otherwise I’ll see you next time.

Edit: I found the group shortly after; I wasn't at the right location. :)

• Thanks for yesterday guys - looking forward to next time :)

• Thanks Jonny it was a pleasure to meet you all.
    Sorry for the truncated route though but we had to put safely first because of the strength of wind.
    Look forward to seeing you on a ride soon

• Hi everyone, if any of you were unable to make it this past Saturday, we have new sessions available now.

Group Skills - 16 November: https://forum.islington.cc/events/5122/
    Intro Ride - 7 December: https://forum.islington.cc/events/5121/
    Group Skills - 14 December: https://forum.islington.cc/events/5123/

• Hi everyone, is there a 8:30am cycle that guests can attend tomorrow?

• Yes, there will be rides leaving from Whittington Park at 8:30 tomorrow. If you plan to attend please email [email protected] (for insurance purposes).

Please note that it won't count as one of the required sessions to join the club however, you will still have to attend a Group Skills or Intro Ride before you'll be approved to join.

• Thanks Zac. I emailed Membership@‘ so see you or the group tomorrow!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An introduction to club cycling - 02 November

Posted by Avatar for Alec @Alec

Actions