• Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of signing up to an introductory ride soon but my only bike is a 6-speed Brompton. I'm curious, do any members (or prospective members) go out to rides with small-wheeled bikes or even folding bikes? Would you advise against it?

I'm by no means an experienced cyclist, having never joined a cycle club before and just recently started to do longer rides beyond my daily commute. I have no interest in racing, simply enjoy improving my fitness and cycle skills, and riding in groups to beautiful places.

Thanks!

• I have a Dahon, with 20" wheels, that I have used on a few evening club rides.

This was the bike I was using when I started to ride more, and, before joining ICC, I'd ridden it around Richmond Park on quite a few occasions (and a little further). Later, for novelty, I tried out a solo ride on ICC's NLH route, and a few evening rides when my other bike was damaged.

I did notice the difference.

The bike is, I think, marginally heavier than the 13kg tourer that I normally use, and which, itself, can probably be considered a heavy choice. I think that a 6-speed Brompton will be similarly heavier than most (basic) road bikes used by ICC members.

The larger issue was position and, I think, some more resistance to motion. I found climbing a lot harder. More effort was required in order keep up with others.

For regular club rides, I'd not consider my folder a good choice. While some ICC rides can be quite gentle, our less brisk groups can still move along at a pretty good pace (12-14mph average moving speed).

I'd suggest that, unless one is quite strong, or, at least, very familiar with club ride pace & distance, it's a good idea to make rides easier rather than harder. For initial rides, it is probably wise to be careful with choices of bike, shoes/clothing, and food & drink.

A good alternative is to come along to a Regent's Park group skills session, or possibly to meet people at the Cafe after Saturday morning laps, and get a feel for some of the riding (though laps are not so representative of Sunday rides).

About

Avatar for Tim(TLB) @Tim(TLB) started