of 2
/ 2
Next
  • whittington park, london
  • 87.5% Complete
    14/16
  • Going 14
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 6th May 2017 at 08:30 am.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders.

A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!
    Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.
    The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).
    Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:
    ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Hi - Is it possible to join a waiting list for this session,or is there any other way to begin cycling with ICC? Thanks

• Hi Alec you mentioned before if I am an experienced cyclist I could joint the sunday ride. Can you confirm how long the ride takes. The approximate finish time ? thanks

• Hi @user75340 and @Johnk these intro rides are monthly. However if the soonest one is booked up feel free to join one of the Group Skills sessions on Saturdays in Regents Park, they cover similar topics. They are strongly recommended for new starters anyway.

Sunday rides are very organic, there are no 'set routes'. Usually there will be half a dozen rides of different speeds and distances so something for everyone. Just rock up and go for a ride!

• great thanks for your reply alec. If i was organising my sunday what kind of time do the sunday rides finish ?

• Hi there, I see this event is full. Just thought I'd leave a message and register my interest in joining in case places become available. Cheers, Danielle

• Hi John,

Typical C-ride might be 30-40 miles so at 12-14mph you might expect to be back around noon plus or minus any punctures or cake stops. There will be longer rides happening, and group speeds vary depending on the route and riders, so best to factor in some slack to your schedule!

Unless people are advertising specific routes in advance then it is largely dependent on what any volunteering rider-leaders offer in the park on the day. You can check the forums to see if there are any pre-planned routes and sign up to those, subject always to the numbers ride-leaders are happy to take.

Once you've been on a few rides and got a feel for the club, don't forget to volunteer to lead a ride or two as the sucessful running of the club relies on people stepping up to help!

• It depends, some people will be doing long rides, some shorter. Typically most rides finish around lunchtime.

• Hello,

I see the event is full. I emailed Eva a few days ago but looks like I missed out. Is there no room for 1 more?

Thanks!

• Hi - if you do have a waiting list, I'd like to go on it as well - Cheers

• @AlecJ is there any further availability for this session?

• I would also be interested if a slot became available too.

When do you post the date for next ride? This is the second time I've tried to get on this introductory ride, but again I've missed the cut off.

• Hi there, same as the people above, I thought I'd let you know of my interest. Will try again for the next one. Cheers, Luca

• Hi guys, the next intro ride after this one is June 3. However feel free to join a Group Skills session in Regents Park in the meantime. It covers very similar ground :)

• Hi there, just to let you know there's now a space available. Sadly I can't make it... Have fun! :)

• Very keen to join if a place opens up.

• I too am very keen to join - however, are there only rides on a Saturday or are there rides on a Sunday too?
    Thanks, H.

• We have club rides on Sunday too (as well as Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings)!

• Do you guys still do morning rides? e.g. Tuesday 6am?

• Ad-hoc only. We recommend all prospective new members do an Intro ride or group skills session.

• Okay no problem, however Saturday is full. Can I join a ride this evening?

• https://forum.islington.cc/events/2923/

Take up for tonight's ride is relatively limited.

• Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for deciding to come along to the ICC Intro ride and give us a go. Your first run with us will be led by myself, +Orestis +SallyB and +AliGray

Please meet at the Whittington Park, Holloway Road Entrance at 8:20 for an 8:30 start. There will be a briefing before leaving the park.

For those with a Garmin or similar, the route we will be using is posted below. Note that you do not need a Garmin etc as the ride leaders know the route - please use it as a guide but listen to whoever is leading your ride as changes may be required on the day.

Ride Route

Please let me know if you are unable to attend via reply to this message. Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions. If you have any questions about the ride, please get in touch and we will be happy to help.

We will be introducing how to ride in a group, if you want to do some homework then please see this handy video on the GCN website

As a reminder, the full details of the ride can be found below:

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners and we are not
    teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles at an average speed of at least 12 mile per hour, with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance or pace please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders.

A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club. Depending on pace, we should get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum (please help us by creating an actual name rather than the default username) then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    As with all club rides, you must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    Your bike must be in a good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Other riders may help you if you are in trouble but you should be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do for food. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast!
    Bring water, making sure that you can easily carry it with you on your bike.
    The weather can change quickly so make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately (waterproofs/warm clothing when appropriate).
    Money for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home so bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets or a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:
    ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

Please be at the Whittington Park for an 8.30 start! We look forward to meeting you all on Saturday!

• Sorry to bail on such short notice, i have had a surprise weekend away thrust upon me by the wife. Hope this won't affect me coming in June?
    Mike.

• HI, I've had to bail @AlecJ @user76500 I would hate a space going free as a result of me.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An introduction to club cycling - 6 May 2017

Posted by Avatar for Alec @Alec

Actions