Our club rides

Posted on
Page
of 21
  • Hey @funkywobin
    All Sunday rides start at 08:30 from Whittington Park, Holloway Road entrance.

• Cheers @James_R

I shall catch you all tomorrow morning.

• What times do rides usually return to North London by?

• Depends on the ride. As determined by the leader.

• Hey Aaron.

Great to hear you're interested in getting into crit racing next year. As Alex says, come along to the intro and group skills sessions when you can. The Saturday 8am Regent's Park sessions are also good for honing your group riding skills, with the faster 7am crew offering a step up in pace (don't forget your ICC jersey, though!).

We also have other sessions that are useful for racing - I would highly recommend signing up for the Hillingdon race skills session https://forum.islington.cc/events/2483/ and the Thursday evening velopark skills sessions are also great https://forum.islington.cc/conversations­/287922/ (I guess these are starting again in the new year).

Often the advice for those thinking of racing is to just give it a go. Don't worry too much about about whether you're fast enough - just finishing in the bunch on in your first race would be a significant achievement. You will find that after a couple of races you will be far more comfortable in the pack and can start thinking about strategy.

You likely to see plenty of other ICC jerseys at races around London. There's some general chat about upcoming races on the forum at https://forum.islington.cc/conversations­/589/?offset=2125. Get involved!

• Hi!

I'm a prospective member, and whilst I haven't ridden with the club before, would like to try this on Sunday (to the extent that there is a 'C' grade ride on 18 December.) Would you mind if I joined?

I appreciate that you encourage people to attend the introductory session, which I have, unfortunately, missed, but I'm hoping that I could tag along nonetheless. If you let me know that it's not working out during the ride, I'd be happy to drop back and ride separately.

Thanks,
    David

• David - you would be very welcome to come along. We ride every Sunday! And the next Introductory Ride is 7 January.

• Also consider the group skills on the 17th as a taster.

• Hi all, any rides happening tomorrow morning? I'm hopeful I'll manage to get up :)
    Happy New Year to all x

• Hi Audrey,
    I'm sure there will be a few hardy souls out tomorrow. Hoping to be there in the morning.

• Actually I've just seen the weather report...

• Looks horrible!!!!

• Is there a ride from Whittington Park tonight? If so, is the meet point still on the Holloway Road side? Just thinking about the road works on the A1. Cheers!

• A ride this evening?

Wednesday night is North London Hills night. 18:30 at Whittington Park (Holloway Road entrance).

If the road is closed, the relatively huge detour can be taken to get over the bridge.

• Cool, thanks!

• Holloway Road is now open again @Tim(TLB) @alexT

• Where and when do people meet for the regular Thursday Velopark Circuit rides? What is the usual schedule at all that?

• It's on hiatus for the winter, so more irregular than regular right now. If you join up to the club you will hear more through the newsletter or the part of the forum you cant see right now.

• Hi,

I'm looking for a club to join - do you guys still meet for Regents Park laps in the week and on Saturdays? And is it ok to come along and join a session?

Thanks,

Rich

• Rich

We do, every week. You are welcome to join our 8am ride at Regent's Park. Meet at the zoo entrance on the Outer Circle. There is a faster 7am sessions, but we ask guests to debut at the 8am session.

Note: helmets are mandatory.

David

• Great - will hopefully be there tomorrow!

• Hey, I'm a 15 year old cyclist and I'm looking for a club to join after my exams this summer and so I have a few questions:

1. If I had parental permission in a slip would I be able to join on the rides without a parent?
    2. When I join for my first ride will I be automatically assigned to group C even though my average pace is around 25kph.
    3. As a soon to be 16 year old how do you guys provide for helping someone at my age develop?
    4. As a sub question to the previous one, do you guys help organise races and help children get to races and join them?
    5. Also how is cyclocross with you, do you provide for cx races and do you organise days where people can go and train for cx, like at ally pally?
      I thinks that is all for now and thanks!
  • Hey there!
    I'm tagging @EvaJ and @aidan in this post who should be able to answer your first question as ICC's welfare 👮🏽 officers!
    We would ask that your first ride is an intro ride (first Saturday of each month and you can sign up in advance on the forum) then you can go out based on pace once you're sorted with group skills- 25kph would probably be a B pace group.
    I would ask @Sir_Shannonball if he has any advice on development as he does a lot with youth and potentially has advice on racing? @RobV may also have advice?
    We currently don't have an official set up for cx - more the interested people sorting their own racing and riding over the winter- we have thought we might run a cx taster next winter though.
    Hope that helps!
    Let us know if you have any more questions and if the people above don't get back to you soon!
    Ceci

• Hey, thanks for your questions about joining the club. It's great to hear from you. As Ceci says I'm one of the club welfare officers here to help young members get the most out of the club.

I'm away on holiday at the moment, with bad phone signal, so hopefully @Ceci or @EvaJ can reply in a bit more detail and send you our guide for youth club members (under 18 yrs old). This will tell you everything you need to know about what parental permission you need etc.

Welcome to The club!

• Hey, I'm a 15 year old cyclist and I'm looking for a club to join after my exams this summer and so I have a few questions:

Thanks for getting in touch - I've answered your excellent questions below.

If I had parental permission in a slip would I be able to join on the rides without a parent?

Under 18s need to be accompanied by an adult. This need not be a parent/carer, but must be by agreement with them.

When I join for my first ride will I be automatically assigned to group C even though my average pace is around 25kph.

Yes. Your first ride is about getting to know people and our club, not a training ride. As such you will be riding within yourself for this initial outing. After that, join the most appropriate group.

As a soon to be 16 year old how do you guys provide for helping someone at my age develop?

Great question. We have just launched our youth programme and are focusing on 8-15 year olds. We do not have something specific for 16-17 year olds at present, but will delelop something as our programme grows. For now, 16-17s can join our all age rides as per above.

As a sub question to the previous one, do you guys help organise races and help children get to races and join them?

Our early aim is developing a team to compete in the road and time trial section of the London Youth Games in June. Then we will target other events with the guidance of our young riders' goals.

Also how is cyclocross with you, do you provide for cx races and do you organise days where people can go and train for cx, like at ally pally?

CX is a growing part of what we do. We don't stage any CX races. We do have members who race CX and train on CX bikes/routes.

I thinks that is all for now and thanks!

Youth Guide and Consent form below. Let me know if you need any more information.

Good luck with your exams!

David

2 Attachments

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Our club rides