An Introduction to Club Cycling - 1 October 2016

Posted on
  • TBD
  • 93.75% Complete
    15/16
  • Going 15
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 1st October 2016 at 08:30 am.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

Unfortunately we cannot offer this session to complete cycling beginners as we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its set-up and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 25 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in learning how to ride with a group, and open to improving your cycling skills and communication with other riders. A helpful overview on group riding can be found on the GCN website

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a 25 mile route and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we can discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full. We do not maintain a waiting list so please keep checking back in case a place becomes available.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:
    You must wear a helmet to take part in this ride.
    A bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly.
    Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    Energy/food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:
    ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Hello! Is there anyone dropping out of this ride at all? I would really like to come to this ride - I'm going away with the ICC ladies to the Brecon Beacons 7th-9th Oct and really need to practice signalling and the group riding style. Would so so appreciate a space so please do get back to me if a space is going! Harriet

• Hi Harriet, although it is advisable to attend one of the monthly introduction rides, you could also come along to one of the other club rides/sessions where you can ask questions and observe whilst on the ride. I would suggest Saturday morning Regent's Park laps - social pace (meet @08:00 Zoo entrance) or come along to one of the Sunday rides (meet @08:30 Whittington Park entrance) and join one of the C paced rides.

• If someone isn't familiar with group riding or signalling then I wonder if an intro ride and then group skills is the place to start.

• Hey Harriet- keep your eyes pinned on this page as usually someone drops out nearer the time :)

• Hi, don't know whether you need help but will gladly volunteer to sweep or helping with signage etc.

• Hi Mark. Think we're covered for the next one but I'll add you into the huddle so you can see if you can help at any others

• Hi! Just been talking to Mark B and Leila about next week please could I go On list for Saturday? Thanks! (That's the reserve list)

• Hi,

Unfortunately there isn't a reserve list - if you keep looking back here before the ride then you might be lucky to find a place become free. If so please sign up when it does. If not, there will be another intro ride in November

• Hi, I would really like to come on the ride on Saturday, as would like to try group riding before i join the club (which i am really interested in doing). I see that it is full, so will keep checking back on the page and hope that a place comes free!

• Can I ask when the next event will be? As this event is full, I'd like to book for the next one.

• The next event will likely be the first Saturday in November. It will be posted after this event has happened and you'll need to register then as per everyone else as we aren't able to hold reserve lists, unfortunately.

• Hi, unfortunately I've had to drop out of Saturday's ride - I can see there are people wanting to join so please try now as a slot should be available

• Sorry to hear that Oliver, but i would love to take your place! How can i do this?

• Looks like it's already been snapped up I'm afraid

• Hi all - joining instruction for this Saturday's ride sent to you via internal/forum message. Look out for a yellow envelope in the top right hand side of your screens, click it and then click the message also labelled with a yellow envelope.

Please post on here if you haven't received it - somebody will add you to the huddle. If you can no longer make the ride, please free up your space here so somebody else can take it - we can accept new riders up until 8pm on Friday evening.

• I've had to drop out, I'm afraid, so if you're still interested there's a place available.

• Hi Team, appreciate if you can please forward the joining instruction for this Saturday's ride. Thanks

• Great riding today everyone!
    Hope you enjoyed it and look forward to seeing you on a club ride soon.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 1 October 2016

Posted by Avatar for alexD @alexD

Actions