• Hi there,

I came on my first ride with you guys on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Thanks, I'm probably going to sign up as a member when I get around to it.

A question I had was in regards to the distance you should be riding from the kerb when leading the group. I was always told that when riding single file to ride a little further out from the edge of the road than you would perhaps by yourself, meaning that riders behind can follow your line a little easier, and you don't have to swerve/jump/call out every pothole. I note that this isn't mentioned in your guide to group riding, and just wanted to clarify what the viewpoint of more experienced people is with regards to this?

Of course riding a little further out does mean that cars do have to maneuver around you, but I thought this was good practice even when you're in the city or on your own, rather than just hugging the verge. I'm talking perhaps just at least a foot from the edge so that you don't have to move out for every drain cover, not [edit] necessarily always taking the whole lane. I noted that when riders in front of me were very close to the edge, it made it very hard to follow them closely and with confidence.

Thanks for the feedback, and hope this is in the right section of the forum to post!

• At least half a metre.

• And at least a metre when passing parked vehicles.

• Thanks. Should this be in the (otherwise excellent) group riding guide?

• A meter at least from the curb. That will help keep you clear of drains, road debris and likely areas of poor surface. It will also make you more visible to other road users.

There will be times when being further out, taking the lane (central to the carriageway) is the preferred position.

And, as +LinusR correctly states, be a meter at least from parked cars, so as to avoid opening doors. Car door incidents are 18% of the collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles, so the latter can significantly improve your safety.

+Gav There is no hard fast rule, rather riders should dynamically access the road and traffic situation. That is why we have not put it in the guide.

If you are in doubt, you can have free 1:1 advanced cycling skills course.

• Kerb, metre. Dynamically assess the road and traffic situation.

• Very nicely answered above. @Gav perhaps the ideal place for these kind of queries would be the Any Question Answered thread.

• Thanks. Noted for future. @michool

I should say that my concern wasn't so much "how far should I ride from the kerb?", as I'd usually give myself a bit of space, and am a pretty confident rider on the roads, so much as "Am I within my rights on Islington CC rides to ask the people I'm riding with to stop hugging the verge and riding within 10cm of the edge as I'm finding it unsafe to follow them?" :)

• Yes! It's good to have the first rider in a good position for the rest to follow.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Distance from kurb on club rides? Particularly single file

Posted by Avatar for Gav @Gav

Actions