You are reading a single comment by @StephendS and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I think my point is that if you've not done a lot riding it can be hard knowing what kind of riding you want to do or what you really want, and it's best not to blow all your money on something that's not quite right.

One of things I learnt is that I needed to spend a lot more to get a bike I was happy with. I think the Clive needs to budget a bit more if he's planning this bike as a long term investment, as he's currently falling into the pricepoint void between cheap entry-level bikes (<£500) and properly nice bikes (>£1000).

• I agree with +GrahamP - what you want is likely to evolve as you cycle more. I restarted cycling in 2007 and have bought 6 bikes over that period. I now have 3 bikes (1 written off in a crash, 1 had to be replaced by Halfords after poor set up/service, 1 I sold on e-bay for about 40% of its RRP). I'm very happy with all 3 of them but, given what I now know, I could have 2. There are so many subtle variants that it is hard to know what you want until you try and of course what you want changes in time.

I also agree with the price point void and I think there's also one from £1000 as so many bikes are priced at £1000 to meet the requirements of most cycle to work schemes so there's not much available for a bit above £1000.

About

Avatar for StephendS @StephendS started