You are reading a single comment by @Kos and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I really don't understand the idea of buying something substandard knowing that you are going to replace it. You are then left with something that you will have to sell for a loss or keep it, lose all the money spent on it and have the hassle of storing it. In addition, life is too short to ride substandard bikes. Yes I am a total bike snob.

A decent aluminium frame with a carbon fork, 11 speed Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival (or maybe Tiagra/Apex depending on budget) is what most people would be more than happy with, won't cost the earth and is easily upgraded. It will almost certainly come with a standard wheelset that can easily be replaced in time.

A full carbon frame might be an expense too far at this stage but if you have the money why not?

Definitely test some bikes out - it what you think that counts. I would get an 11 speed groupset though - the 11 speed groupsets are vastly superior to their 10 speed predecessors.

About