You are reading a single comment by @CliveR and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hi all

I’d very much appreciate some advice on buying more-or-less my first ever “proper” bike. You all seem both knowledgeable and friendly - thanks in advance for putting up with a newbie...

I’m keen to get into road cycling and heading out on club runs (not interested in racing). And I’ve got two small kids who love their bikes, and I want to get out with them - so I want something that I’ll be able to stick bigger tyres on to cope with mud, and with gravel tracks.

I’ve been thinking about a Genesis CdA 10 - though it’s right at the top of my budget. (I’m guessing things are pretty competitive and everything at that price point is equally good). Anyone got any experience with this or know a good alternative?

My main question is - should I start off with something much cheaper to build up my fitness (and confidence - been 5 years since I’ve spent any time cycling London’s roads), and then spring to the Genesis (or whatever) when I’m in better shape? Or is that a false economy?

Secondly, if anyone’s got any tips on building up fitness, I’m all ears. Obviously, just do progressively longer and faster rides, but if you have any good routes in north London for beginners, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks - and hope to see you on a club ride, eventually...

• Road bikes are my thing but I would get the best you can afford.

Buy cheap, buy twice. A false economy as you say; you can spend that money on kit, wheels, bike holidays.

• Definitely get something at the top end of your budget. That way you'll end up with a better frame. Everything else can be changed if need be.

I don't think you necessarily need a crossbike, unless you're planning on riding down bridal paths. Something like a Specialized Allez or any Sportive focussed bike should do you right and most of them will take relatively big tyres these days.

Get down the bike shops and try everything in your price range... there's nothing more important than actually sitting on the thing and trying it out. :)

• Hi Clive, I'd buy that bike. It looks perfectly suited to your needs/ budget, looks good and you'll probably be able to swing your leg over one. In fact Mosquito bikes on Essex Road sell Genesis and will be able to make sure the bike fits without going through a full-blown bike fit, which is probably surplus to requirements as your body/ needs will change depending on the cycling you do in the future.

About

Avatar for CliveR @CliveR started