• That does not seem like 'sponsored' article at all.

However, the researchers said that the experiment included a fairly small sample, and the long-term effects on workout recovery of eating fast food over other, healthier sources of food are not known.

It's just another garbage study with meaningless sample size, no control group, no exercise protocol etc.

What it shows is that as long as the adequate amounts of macro-nutrients are delivered within right time frame, one's body should be able to restore body energy levels. What it does not show, is how this type of 'diet' would influence healt in the long run.

It's all good to produce garbage like that as long as it stays on PubMed.

It's not ok though to take it out on the news paper front page , giving people a false sense of security/justification. Good job The Times, really....

• At the Mosquito trainer demo evening, there was a chap who spoke about his "Stealth" sports nutrition brand. He described the article. It seems like what was found was pretty much as you describe: if you choose fast food items that provide the same nutrition as you might find in a sports product, you get the same results.

I doubt this is garbage. Looking past the headlines it's not too hard to see that there's no real health comparison. There is though, I think, some dispelling of the idea that special products provide lots more than can be achieved through other means.

I found a quote apparently from one of the authors of the study:

"A lot of the articles out there are totally misrepresenting the study," he said. "We had participants eating small servings of the fast-food products, not giant orders of burgers and fries. Moderation is the key to the results we got."

'course, with the 4-up TTT in mind, I'd suggest that swift teams should go with pre-race giant orders of burgers and fries (kg rather than g).

• I called the study garbage because of the design, but I agree with Your point that special product does not always come with better results. I guess the idea behind is to show that food supplements are no better than fast food in short run, but You can also read it as : 'wow, big macs are great recovery food, not as bad as everybody says'.
    Well, they're bad, no matter what compared with.

I would like to see more attempts on that subject, maybe designed a little bit better, with control group having a balanced diet , and economical aspect taken into account as well.

• fast food items that provide the same nutrition as you might find in a sports product, you get the same results.

Sorry but I have to agree with @StephendS here, there is no way that a burger or chips that have been uber-processed from high-intensive farming produce, and then cooked in a big deep fat fryer in a fast food restaurant, is going to mirror the nutritional value of a sports supplement. If you equate the generic labels 'fats' 'carbs' and 'proteins' then maybe, but that's certainly not how to do nutrition - if it was, then you could eat 100g of popcorn and say that was just as good as a plate of pasta...

About

Avatar for Tim(TLB) @Tim(TLB) started