of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 100.0% Complete
    16/16
  • Going 16
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 9th January 2016 at 08:30 am.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners and we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:

A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly.
    Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Been trying to get on this ride for a while. Looking forward to this!

• Great - enjoy the ride.

• heya - i'm new to winter biking - do you have any suggestions for lightweight but warm gear to invest in?

• Hi there, the best place to start is with a base layer. With Winter cycling, layering is key to staying warm. A merino base layer, or polyester depending on your budget will wick moisture away. If you team a base layer with a long sleeve jersey, a softshell jacket, bib shorts and overshoes, the next step would be finding a combination that works best for you.

• @user56502 the trick is layers. A baselayer (can be basic, no need for expensive brands) below a long sleeve jersey is sufficient for me at the current warm winter temperatures. When getting colder I either have a jacket of add another summer jersey under my long sleeve (cheaper option).

Something I also find very useful is a gilet. This protect you against the wind and is very light so can be stuffed in a pocket halfway through the ride. You can use this as an extra layer in winter and summer.

Essentials are closed gloves.

As you will see, you could spend a lot on clothing but I would start with the basics and add if needed/if you like the design/have money to spend.

• echoing @nicknumbernine the overshoes are also useful if you often have cold feet.

• Hello, I'll be helping to lead the ride on the 9th, looking forward to it :-) If you haven't seen it, GCN is usually a good source of advice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGyTdklp­nVM

To third the other suggestions, a couple of decent mid-weight base layers are really versatile, and can extend the use of your summer gear well into autumn and even winter if you layer them. With the recent weather (ie windy but not actually that cold) I have found a windproof layer really important, either a jersey with windproofing (usually expensive) or you can get baselayers with windproof panels on the front which work really well (cheaper and you can wear under anything). Most of my kit is intended for cool-weather spring/autumn riding, for the really cold days I just put it all on at once :-) Cycling being the new golf, you can spend an unlimited amount of money on expensive garments specialized for very a specific set of conditions - but I think basing your clothing around layers is a better solution than spending a lot on eg. a really warm jacket that you only ever use a couple of times a year. If you are really dying to invest in something nice, the Castelli Gabba really is wonderful in wind/rain, but you would still want to layer under it for the cold.

Keeping knees warm - your options are shorts + leg or knee warmers (the versatile option), 3/4 length or full length tights. This year I have got the most use out of shorts + knee warmers, but it has been mild. Look for something made from roubaix fleece, and possibly windproofing. dhb (Wiggle's in house brand) are great value for money in this department.

Don't forget your extremities, I find my body runs quite warm once I am moving but the bits that get really cold are my hands and feet, so I nearly always wear overshoes, and double them up and add thermal gloves on the really cold days. I've recently experimented with oversocks, and been impressed - work well on their own on dry windy days, and as a layer under overshoes on really cold or wetter days.

I have found Planet X a very cheap source of basic but functional staples - base layers, overshoes, etc - probably not the best in terms of breathability but perfectly adequate and great for layering up to add a bit more warmth on cold days.

Specifically for the intro ride, I am going to err on the side of dressing too warm, we will try to keep moving whenever possible but it might be a bit more stop/start than on regular club rides - as the focus is on learning skills and riding as a group, we might stop to talk about things and will always wait to regroup at the top of hills.

• One of my new year's resolutions will be to join a road cycling club... Really looking forward to meeting you guys on Jan 9th. Happy Holidays
    Olaf

• That is a great resolutiion +redfalo Happy Holidays everyone

• Sadly cant make the 9th - would you know when the next intro to CC will be? So i can get it in the diary early! Thanks.

• It should be the same time in February, second Saturday of the month

• Happy New Year :) And thanks so much for the warm clothing riding advice! I was also wondering about clips...I know they are more efficient, but I haven't gone that route yet. There not a necessity for this Saturday's ride are they?

• Hey, I'd really like to join you on the 9th and have done quite a bit of riding in the past but am new to London...do you think that will be a problem? Thank you, Amy

• Oh I've just seen it is full - next time!

• +AmyM you can still join a 'C' group on Sundays -- no need to book, just turn up. Please read the group riding guide before you do. Rides are published here http://forum.islington.cc/conversations/­619/

• I'd suggest that clips are not at all a necessity for the intro ride, or for many other club rides.

On the intro ride there may be some opportunity for pushing along a bit - perhaps up a hill, but, as an introduction to riding with other club riders, clips/cleats probably won't offer much of an advantage on the speed & power front. I think that being comfortable & confident are most important, and if that happens to be with clips/cleats, then go that way (and not if you're more comfortable without them).

I switched to cleats only recently, and, as much as I like them, I often prefer commuting without being clipped-in in any way.

• @AmyM often we have some last minute dropouts in the 3 days before the ride, so keep an eye on the site and you have a good chance to still join the intro ride. Otherwise a C-ride is also possible (but still sign up for the intro ride next month, as we take more time and practise all the group signs more extensively then on a normal C-ride).

• Hi, I have signed up to the intro next week, but I'd like to come tomorrow to join a ride? I've been using my bike to commute for the past year so have done a fair bit of cycling although not in a group. Would it be ok to come tomorrow? :)

• Hi Fran,

As I gather, it should be fine to come along to a Sunday ride (tomorrow) before the intro ride. This was suggested to me when I first found the club in the summer. The club does try to ensure that there will be at least one, gentler "C" ride, group suitable for prospective members to join.

The wintry conditions may, however, mean a smaller bunch of us at Whittington Park tomorrow. I'm not aware of any specific "C" ride planned for tomorrow, but, if the prospect of rain doesn't scare off too many, then I do think I won't be alone in looking for something fairly modest. So I reckon there's a good chance that you would be able to easily fit in with a group.

Perhaps someone else could post here if they have anything in particular planned.

Hopefully see you tomorrow.

• Thanks for all the handy tips, really very helpful information for anybody wanting to come join in with an ICC ride. I urge those that are reading them to take note and come for an intro session or laps/C ride if a session isn't available.

To those taking part on Saturday - I will be sending out joining instructions (i.e. where we meet and the route etc.) sometime on Thursday. I will post on here when I've sent it so keep your eyes peeled. If you see my post on here but don't receive the information then please do let me know!

• To all attendees - joining instructions now sent out via forum private message, look in the top right corner for a yellow envelope!

If you are signed up here but haven't received it then please let me know. Likewise, if you can no longer make the ride please let us know on here and vacate your space for somebody that can make it.

• @AmyM and others one spot just came free. First come first serve.

• Could I take the spot please?

• Hi Tim, that spot has been taken BUT @JackWharton can no longer make it so keep your eyes peeled for when that spot comes available on the registration field at the top

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - January 9, 2016

Posted by Avatar for alexD @alexD

Actions