of 2
/ 2
Next
  • Whittington Park, London
  • 93.75% Complete
    15/16
  • Going 15
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• 'An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: 13th June 2015 at 08:30 am - meet at the Holloway Road side of Whittington Park.

You must be signed up for this event to take part. If you are not signed up here on the forum, you will not be able to participate. Details of how to sign up below. PLEASE READ

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners and we are not teaching cycling proficiency. See below for information.

ALL ABOUT YOU:

1.You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    2.You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    3.You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    4.You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance. If you see no places left, it is because the session is full.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Because of this, please do not attend this session if you have not signed up on the forum - you will be turned away.

WHAT TO BRING:

A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition.
    Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. - Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.
    Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Have just signed up to do the Intro ride on 13 June, but am keen to do some longer rides before then if possible. I'm often around at weekends and Weds evenings - is it OK if I come and join you? I'm not the world's fastest and haven't ridden in a group before, but am ready and willing to learn!

• You could join a C-ride on Sunday morning. Come a bit earlier and ask a member to give you some instructions on signs and stuff. However this is by far not as thorough as the intro ride, and we would like to see all members on intro ride to learn good group riding skills.

• Looking forward to getting on the intro ride and picking up a few group pointers. Fingers crossed for the weather.

• @DarcyD looking forward riding together.

For all those that still would like to join the intro ride: At the moment the ride is full, but often a few people have to cancel at the last moment, so keep an eye to the website to see if a place is free.

• Hi. Is it OK if I join tomorrow's C ride? I fear I will need my waterproof!

• I'd love to join the 13th June ride, shame it's full already! I cycle frequently but usually on my own or just with a mate, so I'd be great to be introduced to the group riding skills. Could you please put me in a waiting list in case anyone drops out?

• @debstottor sorry I didn't see your message earlier. Yes you can join.

@EliasTorres we don't keep an waiting list, but out of experience people will drop out in the last days prior to the event. Best thing to do is to keep an eye to the website. You can also select "following" on the top right of this thread, then the system will send you a message if someone post something on this forum.

• Hi. Didn't go as I wasn't sure - and given the weather and a late night probably for the best! Can't do next weekend, so will definitely see you on the 13th. Thanks

• See you on the 13th.

• Hello Martine + other relative newbies
    I am a newbie to group cycling and also keen to come on this ride if anyone drops out. I have ticked 'follow' on this thread so fingers crossed someone might drop out. If not, see you another time!
    Jessica

• Hi, sadly I now can't make this ride so a place has come free.

• Hi,

Can I join 40 mile Saturday ride without doing introductory ride? I used to cycle with another club and I am familiar with signals, cycling with a group etc.

Thanks

• @vaida What speed do you normally do? It sounds like it should be fine, but still sign up for the next intro ride (will come online after this one), as here we have much more time to give feedback and ICC specific way of communications.

Also keep an eye on the forum to see if there will be a last minute drop out. This does happen.

• @Martine I usually average around 25 km/ph in Kent which is quite hilly. I regularly cycle 90km +. I'll keep an eye for drop outs this Saturday.

• That speed should be fine.

• Hey @Martine - was thinking of joining the intro ride tomorrow to lend a hand. You need anyone?

• Hey @LuisEm Thanks for the offer, really appreciated. We are with 4 tomorrow, so we should be fine, although I will never say no to extra hand. However we are looking for some help in August, so I'll add you to the organizing huddle.

• Really sorry but I won't be able to make tomorrow. I hope someone else can take my place. Looking forward to joining you all another time though . Christina

• @vaida there is now a space on the ride tomorrow as Christina has dropped out. Hope you can make it.

• @michool is the space still there? Event is showing as full. Thanks

• Seems like someone was before you @vaida . Keep an eye on this, or indicate "notify me by email" on the top right.

• To all signed up, you should have had a message with all the info. You can find messages in the top right, below your username.

• Massive thanks for the ride on Saturday, had a really good time, even with the puncture, and nice to meet you all. Was a nice little route along some new roads.

Really looking forward to signing up and getting involved in some more rides.

• Hi, when will the July ride invite go out? Thanks!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling - 13 June 2015

Posted by Avatar for Martine @Martine

Actions