of 2
/ 2
Next
  • TBD
  • 93.75% Complete
    15/16
  • Going 15
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: Saturday 13th December 08:45 am - meeting point will be confirmed with you via the forum's private message system.

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):

• You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.
    • You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.
    • You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.
    • You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:

• We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.
    • There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where will will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.
    • The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.30am - 12.30pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?
    If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance.
    Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:

• A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition with MUDGUARDS fitted. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.
    • Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.
    • Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.
    • Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.
    • Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.
    • Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:
    BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.
    Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.
    Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• All the information (minus the meeting point) is listed above. Please read thoroughly!

• The event is now full. Please keep checking back if you wish to attend as places often become free closer to the event.

• Hi I've come out of the event I had ridden on the roads for a few months but I've been out cycling with the club today and was fine and going to join. I thought id let someone else have my place :) thanks.

• Hello guys - I've had to shift the time of the session to start at 08:30am on Saturday 13th. You'll get meeting instructions a day or two before the session here on the private message system so keep an eye out! Thanks :)

• Hello, very sorry but I'll now be out of town next weekend so can't make it after all. See you at the next one in January I hope!

• Dear all (@BrianFitz, @Zak @Barney @JonnyB @Wilbearforce @user50099 @Philip.O-B. )

It is with regret that we are having to cancel this session, as I can no longer make the date to lead this and cannot get a replacement.

However, we will be leading a double session in January so you can start your new year off with this session. If you would like to join the club for any other rides in between you are more than welcome. Club rides on Sundays, 08.30am at Whittington Park. You are always welcome to turn up and identify yourself as a newbie and join the 'C' group.

Sorry once again for the cancellation, and hope to see you in January.

• @BrianFitz and @Philip.O-B. (just tagging you in as your tags did not work above)

EDIT: I can't tag Philip O B for some reason.

• Hi @Laura, that's a shame about Saturday but totally understandable. I can't make the club ride on Sunday but will there be a group in Regents Park on Saturday morning? I'd be keen to get some form of ride in this weekend if possible. Thanks!

• @BrianFitz - yes absolutely, you can join the training ride on Saturday.

8am - meet outside the zoo entrance. Please introduce yourself to whoever is organising the crowds and mention that you are new. You'll be fine :)

• Shame it's cancelled but looking forward to starting the new year with a cycle!

• Hello, strange about the tags, but message received! I'll hope to see you in January...

• Yeah sorry chaps. I have to work all day tomorrow unfortunately :(

We'll make up for it in the new year!!

• Hi there, I'd love to attend the 10th cycle. How do I register? Thanks

• Just click "Yes I'm Attending" and you'll receive an email with details closer to the time

• Hello everyone - the session is still going ahead this Saturday 10th Jan.

Any reference to it being cancelled is old and relating to the December session.

Details will be sent out this evening.

• Hi there, thanks for the help! I clicked in attending a week ago but do g seem to have received the meeting point info. I'm not very technically talent so it's likely to be my fault...any advice welcome!! Laura

• Hello everyone,
    Thanks for organising this. Don't think I have the meeting point info yet either, but looking forward to the ride tomorrow!

• Hello +user52059 and +user51825. I have sent the details to you via the private message system to you on this forum. Look for the envelope icon on the top right hand of the screen!

• If you are viewing on a phone then it is different. Whilst logged in, tap the icon that looks like a stack of grey lines on the top left of the page. This should reveal the envelope icon and if it is yellow it means you have a message. Click on the envelope icon to read the message.

• Hi there perhaps I'm missing the email but not sure where to meet on sat morning as well ??? Don't want to look like I didn't turn up. Please let me know .

• Thank you to all who braved the wild weather to come on the Intro Ride. We hope to see many of you on ICC rides in the future!

• Hi Laura, Just wanted to ask when the next intro ride might be?
    Happy new year!

• @Buzzbuzzbuzz

Hi,

We are just discussing the date at the moment and hope to get it posted in the next week or so. It should be early February.

Rob

• Wicked- thanks!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction To Club Cycling - 10 January 2015

Posted by Avatar for Laura @Laura