An Introduction to Club Cycling

Posted on
  • TBD
  • 18.75% Complete
    3/16
  • Going 3
  • Invited 0

Follow this forum to be notified whenever a new event is added.

• An Introduction to Club Cycling' is a monthly ride run by ICC specifically for people who would like to try out the club cycling environment in a non-pressured and supportive group.

Next ride: October 11th 08:45am - meeting point will be confirmed with you via the forum's private message system.

This is not a session for complete cycling beginners. See below for information.

THE RIDER (That's You!):

You should have already been cycling regularly in some capacity and be confident cycling on London's roads.

You should be familiar with your bike, its setup and be confident riding it. If you've only just bought your bike, take it out for a couple of spins on your own to gain confidence before you join a group ride with us.

You should have a moderate level of fitness already. Capable of riding 30 miles with several steep hills and only brief stops. If you're not yet comfortable at that distance please build up with solo rides before coming along.

You should be interested in Road Cycling, have a desire to ride in a group and improve your skills and fitness.

THE SESSION:

We will cycle a short route (25 miles approx) and discuss group formation, signals, group communication.

There will be a cafe stop at the end of our ride where we will discuss things such as endurance fitness, hill climbing and any other questions about the club.

The session should last a couple of hours, dependent on pace - we usually get to the cafe stop in East Finchley between 11.00am - 12.00pm.

HOW DO I JOIN IN?

If you wish to attend this session you need to sign up to the ride here on the Islington forum.
    Register as a user on the forum then click the 'Yes I'm Attending' button to confirm your attendance.

Places are strictly limited - this is to ensure we can safely guide you on our route. Once you have signed up to the event you will be PM'd the meeting place details, time and route. We will not be publishing the meeting location on the forum to avoid oversubscription on the day - you MUST be signed up to the event and come back to check your messages for details of the session (top right hand side of the forum).

WHAT TO BRING:

A road bike that is in good and roadworthy condition. Check your wheels are true, that your gears shift reliably and your brakes work correctly. Ensure your tyres are inflated to the correct pressure. Under-inflated tyres risk being punctured more easily.

Spare inner tubes, tools and a pump. Club members will help you if you are in trouble - but you should aim to be self-sufficient and at the very least be able to fix a puncture.

Energy food. We're only doing a short ride, so an energy bar or a banana will do. Make sure you start the day with a decent breakfast.

Water. Make sure that you can easily carry water with you on your bike.

Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly - make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.

Money. Either for the cafe stop or in case of an emergency (you might be in a situation where you need to get a train or taxi home! So bring enough cash or your cash card!)

WHAT TO LEAVE AT HOME:

BIKE LOCKS. Please, please, please leave your heavy D lock at home! You will not need it on this ride.
    RUCKSACKS. You should be able to stuff all your things into jersey pockets - or invest in a saddle bag. Please aim to travel light.

OTHER STUFF:

ALL RIDERS MUST observe the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES when riding with Islington CC. This includes: riding no more than two abreast and riding in single file to allow traffic to pass on narrow roads, obeying traffic lights and signs, not riding on pavements and not abusing other road users.

Please acknowledge any courtesy shown to you by other road users and stop at pedestrian crossings where necessary.

Riders attend club rides strictly at their own risk. Please listen to your ride leaders and follow their instructions.

• Thanks, +Rachel. I look forward to it.

• Hi
    I am unable to make the ride on the 11th October but am interesting in joining the club. Are there any other sessions which are good for beginners? I have done a few 50/60 mile rides over the summer.

Andrea

• Hello +user48312 / Andrea - You will probably be best starting off either on one of our Sunday club runs and joining the 'C' pace group (av. 12/14mph for 40 miles) or coming along to our 8am Regents Park training rides (meet at 8am by the Zoo).

• Thanks Laura, are there either of these the weekend of the 18th September? And where do I find this out. Thanks again
    Andrea

• The rides I have mentioned above are every weekend without fail. Meeting for Regents mention above, and Sundays are an 8.30am meeting time at Whittington Park on Holloway Road. Groups and speeds decided on the day.

Our website has most of the information you need (islington.cc) and here on the forum under the section 'In The Saddle'.

• Bumped.

• Hi - Just wanted to quickly say hello before Sat morning. Been a commuter for a while and have been getting more and more into my cycling over the last year or so on solo rides, thought it was about time I made a bit more of an effort and did something organised as I'd love to do some sportives etc in the future, so first steps, be gentle with me…!
    Rob

• Great that you join the intro ride @pilks. This ride is really about learning how to ride in a group and not about speed, so we take it very easy, no need to worry.

• Hi all, I'll ping a message to each of you directly later today confirming the meeting point and final details along with my contact details in case you need them on the morning. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday!

• oh and if anyone doesn't know where to find their direct messages, click on the envelope in the top right hand corner of the screen in the forum...

• Hi,
    as it looks like rain for Saturday, I just wanted to know whether the ride's going to take place even in light/heavy rain? Also, very much looking forward to meeting everyone and riding with you guys- I took part in The Great Escape earlier this year and ICC seems like a lovely bunch of people!
    Tom

• *> Waterproofs and / or warm clothing. The weather can change quickly -

make sure you have checked the weather report and dress appropriately.*

The ride will go ahead....unless it is dangerous and a call will be made by the ride leaders.

Rob

• Hi all, hope you're looking forward to Saturday. I have sent you all a direct message with final joining details. Please shout if you haven't received it.

For anyone else who would like to sign-up at the last minute, there is still space. I'm afraid I can't check the forum regularly over the next day , but I will check back at NOON TOMORROW, and if there are any more takers, I will make sure you get the details by direct message as well.

• Hi @user49161 - I've send you the ride details by direct message. see you tomorrow.

• Hi Rachel
    Very last minute I know (sorry!) but I've just come across this and would love to join the ride if there is still a chance for you (or someone else) to ping me the details?
    Thanks!
    Michael

• Details are already in your inbox. you should be able to see them by clicking on the envelope at the top right of the screen.

• Well done everyone on a great first ride today! Hope to see you all out on club rides in the future. Any comments/questions/feedback, just send me, @RichardM or @EvaJ a direct message. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• Thanks for organising this. It was really helpful as an intro session to club riding generally and islington cc in particular. Will definitely be back (in a couple of weeks)! Michael

• Gutted to log into the site and see that I have missed one of these by a week, I'll attempt to come along to the November one. I think that I may have seen you all as I pedalled into town last Sunday there seemed to be an amazing number of ICC riders coming out of town through Barnet. I was half tempted to turn around and see if I could tag along. Ho hum, hope to see you in November.

• hey George, it would be nice to see you in the November intro. But it you can't make it feel free to join a C ride on the Sundays and see how you like it. Just make your self known to the leader and he/she will give you a quick intro on signs etc.

• Martine,
    Thank you, I will try and do so, I have been umming and arring about joining a club so I shall try and do so, hopefully before November in that case. Many Thanks.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

An Introduction to Club Cycling

Posted by Avatar for Rachel @Rachel

Actions